Task start time - server start time - Upload FTR

Moderator: BOD1

Paul_UK

Task start time - server start time - Upload FTR

Post by Paul_UK » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:59 pm

I just flew a Regatta start task Offline. I wanted the same conditions as the group I fly with so as I know we use a 30min Stop Join time I just set the time forward half an hour in Condor which resulted in me starting the task at exactly the same time as those who flew online. As I altered the start time within Condor though I couldn't upload the FTR as there was a time mismatch at the beginning of the flight. Again though the TASK start time was identical.

I'm wondering if there is another way CC could handle this scenario? I think for Regatta start tasks it's easy. As long as the Task Start Time is identical on the FTR then the FTR should be accepted.

How this scenario is controlled when there is a start window I am unsure. Maybe Condor needs another box where the server start time (Stop Join time) could be set? This would need to be set to match in DSH. If flying offline this time would simply be set to zero, or if you wished to mirror a server you could leave it as is.

Anyone any other ideas how the latter scenario could be handled?

I'm mentioning this as most of the tasks the group I fly with fly are set so you don't need to gain height pre start of task so when flying offline I wouldn't want to just float around for 30 mins (our stop join time). Also for Regatta start we set a two min Race In so unless you alter the task time In Condor you cannot fly the task offline at the same time as those who flew it online.

Thoughts?
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Task start time - server start time - Upload FTR

Post by EDB » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:25 am

If you change the time, you change the weather.

Don't change the task. Start it, do something else and come back when the window opens.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:57 pm

You cannot do this for Regatta start tasks, for example.

I set Race In to 2mins. Time set in Condor is 13:00.

Online scenario: DSH 30mins stop join + Race in 2mins = Task start time of 13:32

Offline scenario: Race in 2mins = Task start time of 13:02

Both do NOT fly the same weather. To fly the same weather offline I have to advance the Time of the task to 13:30 which results in a Task start time of 13:32

It's a tricky scenario due to how the stop join influences things. Ideally what would be good to happen is when starting a server online the Stop Join is accounted for somehow and the time automatically altered in Condor so that all actual task start times would start at the same time regardless of whether they're flown online or offline.

By this I mean if time set in Condor for the task is 13:00 and a 30min stop join is set then something auto adjusts Condor's start up time to 12:30. I'm sure that's quite complex to do however.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:16 pm

Paul_UK wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:57 pm
Ideally what would be good to happen is when starting a server online the Stop Join is accounted for somehow and the time automatically altered in Condor so that all actual task start times would start at the same time regardless of whether they're flown online or offline.

By this I mean if time set in Condor for the task is 13:00 and a 30min stop join is set then something auto adjusts Condor's start up time to 12:30. I'm sure that's quite complex to do however.
The trouble is that the time from which the "race in" countdown starts is when the last glider to connect takes off (restarts don't count)
This means that it will depend on the number of pilots connected, on the start type, and whether there are latecomers (who may have up to 2 minutes extra time to join after the end of the join-time).

My two cents: just forget about scoring together offline an online regatta flights if they must have exactly the same weather conditions.
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

wickid

Post by wickid » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:37 pm

Bre901 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:16 pm
The trouble is that the time from which the "race in" countdown starts is when the last glider to connect takes off (restarts don't count)
This means that it will depend on the number of pilots connected, on the start type, and whether there are latecomers (who may have up to 2 minutes extra time to join after the end of the join-time).
Exactly because of this I would be in favour of having a "grid time" instead of a join time. Proposal here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=20863&p=179158#p179156. Solves many of these problems.
PH-1504, KOE

n98Bk9-NT3

Post by n98Bk9-NT3 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:22 am

Hi,

My solution is to operate a task server on my own PC.

1. Start DSHelper to start a task on your PC.
2. Join that server from Condor2-Multiplayer to IP: 127.0.0.1 or localhost.

Task will start as the same as online races.
I don't feel any performance loss from using dedicated server and Condor itself both on the same PC.

Naoki