Few changes in Competitions management

Moderator: BOD1

BOD1

Few changes in Competitions management

Post by BOD1 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:08 pm

I just released new features and bug fix in competitions module:

:arrow: Registration of a competitor (or slot change) while race is active is only effective after a period of up to 24 hours (current day's race start date + 24 hours).
:arrow: Additional penalties (optional): Speed at start > 170 kph and failure to comply with the minimum altitude on arrival
:arrow: Bug fix on correct point of speed capture at start
:arrow: Add (and check) for maximum wing loading limit
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

wickid

Re: Few changes in Competitions management

Post by wickid » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:31 pm

BOD1 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:08 pm
:arrow: Registration of a competitor (or slot change) while race is active is only effective after a period of up to 24 hours (current day's race start date + 24 hours).
Can you elaborate on this one. Due to work I sometimes have to switch to an earlier or later slot depending on my roster. How long in advance do I have to register for the correct slot? Do I understand it correctly that it is 24 hours before the timeslot? Or 24 hours before the raceday?
PH-1504, KOE

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:38 pm

If you register (or change your slot) during a race day, you'll be considered as competitor only for the next day. So don't change slot when the day has started!
i'm considering to allow slot change for a later one only if the old slot has not started (briefing has not been sent)

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:19 pm

Do you plan to update the results of the IGC Plenum demo competition where the speed limits at start had been officially announced during the briefing, but not that much respected :roll:

https://www.condor.club/comp/besttimes/0/?id=20658
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:30 pm

BOD1 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:38 pm
If you register (or change your slot) during a race day, you'll be considered as competitor only for the next day. So don't change slot when the day has started!
i'm considering to allow slot change for a later one only if the old slot has not started (briefing has not been sent)
When exactly does a raceday start? When the first briefing is sent?
PH-1504, KOE

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:41 pm

yes

alioth

Post by alioth » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:58 am

BOD1 wrote:
:arrow: Additional penalties (optional): Speed at start > 170 kph and failure to comply with the minimum altitude on arrival
About minimun altitude on arrival, does it mean that you can finish lower and you get a penalty, even if condor says that you have not finished?
Can you enter the sector lower than min altitude, and then pull the stick to get at some point the min altitude without penalty?
BOD1 wrote:
:arrow: Bug fix on correct point of speed capture at start
Can you start exiting the sector in the up side of max altitude (before the start line) or is the start point always the line?
BOD1 wrote:
:arrow: Add (and check) for maximum wing loading limit
In the FAI demo I loaded the fixed ballast plus 70l water, to stay lower than 48kg/m2 but I see most of the people didn't use the fixed ballast and loaded 110l to get the same wing loading. Is it better the second option for any reason? any change in plane behaviour?

Jast to say.. I have seen the results page of FAI demo is now corrected with some penalties, but the rating changes are not updated.

Thanks.
Arturo. AMS.

wickid

Post by wickid » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:09 am

alioth wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:58 am
In the FAI demo I loaded the fixed ballast plus 70l water, to stay lower than 48kg/m2 but I see most of the people didn't use the fixed ballast and loaded 110l to get the same wing loading. Is it better the second option for any reason? any change in plane behaviour?
Only difference is that you can't dump the fixed ballast. So if possible I would try to use waterballast as much as possible. Just in case you want to dump for some reason.

Performance and handling wise there is no difference between waterballast and fixed ballast. Only the CoG position affects the handling, stall and spin behaviour.
PH-1504, KOE

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:42 am

alioth wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:58 am
About minimun altitude on arrival, does it mean that you can finish lower and you get a penalty, even if condor says that you have not finished?
Can you enter the sector lower than min altitude, and then pull the stick to get at some point the min altitude without penalty?
Task setters MUST NOT set bottom height of the arrival TP higher than the limit he/she defined for the race otherwise Condor will not consider the task as finished. Ideally it should be 0m.
The finish altitude is measured at the exact moment when you enter the sector. So be above this limit before entering in the sector.
Can you start exiting the sector in the up side of max altitude (before the start line) or is the start point always the line?
In the case of a can sector, "start line" is any border of the sector (from top, from below, even from rear side). It's exactly like in Condor.
Jast to say.. I have seen the results page of FAI demo is now corrected with some penalties, but the rating changes are not updated.
Indeed, I have to re-run ccRating on this race and the other following tasks rated since then.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:23 pm

For the start speed, is this indicated airspeed, true airspeed or ground speed?

I'm unsure what info is stored in the FTR file that Condor generates.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:32 pm

True airspeed, I use 2 glider's fixes (position) and compute the "3D" speed.

wickid

Post by wickid » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:16 pm

BOD1 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:32 pm
I'm very much in favour of a startspeed limit. However we currently have no way to display this in the stock game. I think CoTaSa and XCsoar can display this, but I use neither in VR. So i'm not a fan of this implementation.
PH-1504, KOE

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:58 am

wickid wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:16 pm
BOD1 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:32 pm
I'm very much in favour of a startspeed limit. However we currently have no way to display this in the stock game. I think CoTaSa and XCsoar can display this, but I use neither in VR. So i'm not a fan of this implementation.
That's why I was asking. I am a fan of the idea as VNE starts are a tad ridiculous, though they have been the source of much entertainment at times :mrgreen: It is however hard for Condor pilots to easily know whether they're busting the speed or not. That said with a limited start speed in place you should be playing it a bit safe anyway and not trying to cross the line bang on 170kmh. As I now know what speed is used I'm happy and can accommodate accordingly.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:01 pm

Also any chance this penalty can be implemented as an option for normal tasks and not just competitions?