Pilot ranking list - could we have something meaningful?

Moderator: BOD1

Re: Pilot ranking list - could we have something meaningful?

Post by 6266 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:48 pm

I'm still missing the option for every member to decide if his/her rating is public or not. This could be set in the profile.
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:23 pm

1) Sorting of the double columns
In fact, I think it's not valuable/interesting to sort rating ascending (or rank descending), we generally don't care to see the very last participants :?: However, you can always scroll to the bottom of the page to see them.
2) If I understand correctly the ‘Nb Ratings’ column shows number of rated flights in a given year.
Yep (is "Nb" correct short name for "number"?)
I really hope that ccRating is not calculated just based on flights in the last year.
Of course it's not :) otherwise you would never reach your current rating if it was reset to 1000 each year :D
I'll add total, maybe like "54 (800)" or "54 / 800" to minimize table width.
3) I can see that some places (for example fifth place) is missing from ‘Rank (change)’ column.
Yes, partial view shows only active pilots for the selected year. Click on link "See complete board" to have them all.
My suggestion would be to just have ‘Rank(change)’ column without any missing numbers. This would show everyone where they are on an active list.
It would be problematic to compute change in ranking, especially if an old pilot well rated pops up years after, change would be "(+)" like for a new pilot. Or, I could display rank number dynamically, change would still correspond to the difference from the previous "full" rank with the "full" one displayed, but what if the number 1 of active pilots (who is actually #2 in the full rating - the "real" #1 is inactive - but previously was #1) shows a change of "-1"? (lost 1 rank, so one could understand he was #0 on the previous year or there is a bug)
4) Lastly – it would be nice to see total number of ccRating points gained or lost in a particular competition on the ‘overall results’ page

Later :) It requires more development to generate this information in an optimized way, without picking in the database all the time (multi-users' server development constraint here)
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:25 pm

6266 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:48 pm
I'm still missing the option for every member to decide if his/her rating is public or not. This could be set in the profile.
Ah yes, indeed... the profile page is bloated now, I've to redesign it.
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

witor

Post by witor » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:45 am

BOD1 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:23 pm
In fact, I think it's not valuable/interesting to sort rating ascending (or rank descending), we generally don't care to see the very last participants However, you can always scroll to the bottom of the page to see them.
Fair point (you are right), let's forget about additional sorting.
BOD1 wrote:
(is "Nb" correct short name for "number
I think everyone will understand it 'Nb' for number is fine for me.
BOD1 wrote:
Of course it's not otherwise you would never reach your current rating
Excellent! Just double checking. Very happy to hear that it is calculated the way it should.
BOD1 wrote:
I'll add total, maybe like "54 (800)"
Great Idea! (actually better than what I suggested)
BOD1 wrote:
It would be problematic to compute change in ranking, especially if an old pilot well rated pops up years after, change would be "(+)" like for a new pilot. Or, I could display rank number dynamically, change would still correspond to the difference from the previous "full" rank with the "full" one displayed, but what if the number 1 of active pilots (who is actually #2 in the full rating - the "real" #1 is inactive - but previously was #1) shows a change of "-1"? (lost 1 rank, so one could understand he was #0 on the previous year or there is a bug)

Didn't realize it will be problematic. In that case what we have now is just fine. My suggestion was mostly cosmetic and not that important.
BOD1 wrote:
Later It requires more development to generate this information in an optimized way
Great no worries. Sorry, I thought you misted that one, which would be understandable considering the lengths of some of my posts :)

Well, you have done tremendous job! Well done! I can't think of any other changes or features worth implementing :D