What other "tools" are you using?

Moderator: BOD1

yuku

What other "tools" are you using?

Post by yuku » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:40 pm

Hi there,
Iǘe been enjoying Condor for some time now.
Unfortunately I did not have too much time to fly a lot.
But now I am dedicated to try and fly at least once a week and I would like to take it up a level...

I was wondering what "tools" you use besides Condor while flying?
Tools like XCSoar (which I now have setup correct finally)...

Maybe later I am confident enough that I will try flying competitions, but for now just training....

greetings

YuKu

Re: What other "tools" are you using?

Post by 6266 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:20 pm

I only use this handmade analog one for to see, where the wind is coming from relatively ;-)

CoTaSa makes this digitally
compass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
24 landscapes with free available textures, newest: AlpsE

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

Lenticular

Post by Lenticular » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:34 pm

I'm old-school. I study the map/course before I fly, note the wind, know my glider, and off I go.

I use the PDA for route guidance and to help when thermalling (but I had a year away and became rusty; I'm using the thermal part hardly at all now - I've put in about 20 hours of practice this week).

The hardest part for me is perhaps figuring out how to navigate terrain on longer tasks. I have a plan, but of course... ;)
G-ZULU /// LTN

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:45 pm

I've found a way to aid me on longer tasks in mountainous regions, like the Alps. I make a backup of the PDA map I use. I then open up the PDA map in editing software and I draw a red line along the route I think will be best. It makes it much easier. Before I started doing this I'd fly past ridges I was meant to turn along etc.

I never use the thermal helper on the PDA myself either. I just adjust to what I think gives me the best constant climb.

Lenticular, there's a group of UK pilots, and pilots from other countries too actually, flying three tasks a week with a club called VSC. Tasks are a mix of UK, European and stateside. We're very laid back Condor users and experience of members ranges vastly. Let me know if you're interested in flying with us and I'll post up a Discord link as that is what we do most of our comms through.

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=20635 Actually this thread already has a link in it for our Discord channel.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:35 am

For "long-range" navigation in mountainous areas, you might also use the "Print" option in the flight planner, either to paper (which allows for very easy annotations like mountain pass elevations, etc.) or to Bitmap (esp. if you have an extra monitor on your PC)
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

wickid

Post by wickid » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:06 am

If you use the print option, it saves the map to the main condor folder
PH-1504, KOE

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:59 am

Make sure you select a printer-friendly map.

I prefer Hubert's (HB) maps, they are the most readable IMHO, but some people may prefer a different sun position
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/