Crosswind XP challenge and reality

Moderator: BOD1

Jitenshazuki

Crosswind XP challenge and reality

Post by Jitenshazuki » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:49 am

(I'm not sure this is the right subforum to post to, but I guess the moderators will move the post if needed.)

I have no clue about real flying, but I'm curious. I think that's enough to define the context of the question. So... when I was doing the XP Challenges from Condor Club, one with landing in a very strong crosswind got me thinking: what is the real-life procedure in a similar case?

Google tells me that the demonstrated crosswind component for ASK 21 is 15km/h (8 kts), which is way below what challenge #6 throws at you. Well, I guess the preferred real-life procedure would be "don't take off", but what if weather conditions change while flying or something? What would a real-life pilot do? Land in crosswind above the demonstrated? Find a field nearby to land upwind?

JShieck

Re: Crosswind XP challenge and reality

Post by JShieck » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:57 pm

• use the right runway direction if there are more than two.
  • land across the runway if the airfield is width enougth
  • try to land with the cross wind (don't forget to get nose in landing direction while flatting out)
Field landing has the problem that you couldn't tie up the glider with the ground to safe it from getting blown away after landing - but its also an option.

Gunth3r

Post by Gunth3r » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:44 pm

Where do you find this challenge on Condor Club? I cant seem to find it.

Jitenshazuki

Post by Jitenshazuki » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:34 pm

Thanks for the answer. It never crossed my mind that a glider can be blown away after landing! (Also I guess in case of outlanding detaching wings in a strong wind to put the plane to a trailer is no easy task...)
Gunth3r wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:44 pm
Where do you find this challenge on Condor Club? I cant seem to find it.
You can find XP Challenges by selecting "Pilot's ranking list" tab and then XP Challenge subtab. Crosswind landings are challenges number 5 and number 6.