problems logging into condor.club

Moderator: BOD1

blacksun

problems logging into condor.club

Post by blacksun » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:28 pm

Everytime i try log into condor.club i get told the account hasnt been verified. I get sent an email, click on the link, then I can log in.
Next time i visit the website, I get the same issue and have to verify the account every time.
Once logged in, I can see my account has premium status until next year.

BOD1

Re: problems logging into condor.club

Post by BOD1 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:28 pm

You use a forwarding email service. One of antispam measures commonly used is DMARC and SPF. They define for one domain which server(s) is allowed to send its mails, and what to do if a mail from this domain comes from a non-allowed server. Condor.Club allows only one mail server and tells if a mail come from elsewhere, it must be rejected.
Your forwarding service receives Condor.Club mail and forwards it to some other server. This server sees the mail is coming from your forwarding service, and not from Condor Club, so -> rejection -> error message.
My server get this error message and consider your email address is not accessible/valid and then ask for a new one.

So just enter your real mail, at least one without forwarding.
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

blacksun

Post by blacksun » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:29 pm

Yes I use a forwarding email address and I receive the emails without a problem, I click on the link in the email which takes me to a url on condor.club and it says the account is authorised. Not sure I've ever sent an email into condor.club, so don't see how this could be a problem. I don't see any errors at all, in fact the only problem is condor.club forgets that it has marked my account as authorised.
I've used this mail address with forwarding for about 25 years at least probably more and never used to have a problem logging into condor club website.
the MX record for the domain used by my email address points to the server that handles that mail, yes it forwards on to a different mail system, but it doesnt edit the contents of the mail message apart from an extra relay line in the header. The url in the message is unchanged. I could understand if I were trying to email your server but I'm not, the url is just an https link with parameters, not a sendto mail link.
I could also accept your explanation if I were complaining about emails from condor club not arriving or being marked as spam, neither happens. Its just the url I get sent to to validate the email address (which was originally validated back in the days of condor 1) says the account is validated and I can log in and use the system for as long as I remain logged in. Once I log off or close the browser, next time i try access the site I have to go through the validation again, even if Ive ticked the box "remember me".

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:14 am

That's nothing to do with sending a mail TO condor club, let me be more precise:

Condor.Club advertises (through DNS / MX) what is its emails server. It also defines security rules stating only this server (and no one else) can send mail with "From: xxx@condor.club" (that's SPF). The second rule instruct receiver server what to do if the SPF rule fails (the mail came from a server WHICH IS NOT condor.club but the From field claims it is), that's DMARC. Many spammers use an existing e-mail address as a sender, so if these measures did not exist, the poor guy whose address was used would receive many complaints and error messages. More and more administrators enable SPF and DMARC nowadays because it's a good armor against spam and for those who didn't define SPF (or worse, let failed SPF mails pass through) are incompetent or lazy. SPF is around since 2006, DMARC since 2015.

Now, when CC send an email to you (notifications, password reset, ...) it talks with your forwarding service instead of the real final server.
At the same time, this Forwarding Server establish connection with final server (ntlworld in your case) to repeat what CC says.
Ntlworld seems to have partially implemented SPF and DMARC, because you still receive the mail, and because CC get this error message at the end of transmission:

<xxxxxxxx@ntlworld.com>: host mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net[212.54.56.11]
said: 554 5.2.0 MXIN603 DMARC validation failed.
;id=QCiFlszwPgW2GQCiGlvH6l;sid=QCiFlszwPgW2G;mta=mx6.tb;dt=2021-03-27T18:27:08+01:00;ipsrc=207.174.213.167;
(in reply to end of DATA command)

As you can see in red, IP of the server NTLWorld is talking to is NOT CC server IP, hence the rejection. You don't have to send any mail to CC, it happens when CC sends a mail to you.
My server get this error message and then consider there is a problem with your email address. Because it's important to have a valid one (in case you forgot your password for example) and because sending emails to defective addresses is the good way to be blacklisted everywhere, CC disables the account (and stop sending notifications) until you fix the issue.

Thierry

blacksun

Post by blacksun » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:08 am

Ok thanks for taking the time to explain the issue, although I still don't know why it started to be a problem and only affects mail from condor.club and not mail from anyone else including utility companies, banks, and the uk government.
Anyway I've changed the email settings on condor.club to use my work's address as I do not want to use an ISP email address as I've been caught out when changing ISP's before and loosing access to my old email account.

ZenMan

Post by ZenMan » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:27 pm

I'm having a similar issue. I've been a member of Condor Club for about 10 years, last submitted flight tracks in January of 2022.

I get the "Account not Validated" message (screenshot below). When I enter my email to have it send me a validation email, nothing shows up in my email inbox. I have checked my spam folder, deleted folder, and have entered @condor.club into my spam filter as allowed.

Interestingly, when I enter the same email address into the "Forgot password?" option and enter my email address, I do get an email from Condor Club with a link to change my password.

So if I submit my email address for activation, it doesn't get received (or maybe doesn't get sent), but if I enter the same email address to change password, I get an email.

Also, I have a friend who also uses tds.net ISP and has been having the same issue. Is the entire ISP blacklisted?

I don't know anything about "forwarding email addresses" as discussed earlier in this thread.

How can I validate my account?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:35 pm

TDS has black-listed emails from Condor Club (see the end of the message on your screenshot). I already wrote to them (abuse@tds.net) on february 25th to request blacklist removal but they never replied.
I strongly suggest you change your email address to a reliable one (like gmail.com). Create an account on gmail if necessary then enter the new address in the field visible at the top of your screenshot.

ZenMan

Post by ZenMan » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:30 pm

Ok, I can do that.

But how is it that password change emails get through?

Thanks for your efforts in trying to clear things up with TDS.net
condor.png
-= Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:22 pm

Because their spam filter doesn't block every mails from CC. There is something in the validation mail which trigger their filter.