Restricting task to single glider

Moderator: BOD1

Paul_UK

Restricting task to single glider

Post by Paul_UK » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:23 am

Hi all. VSC hosted a cirrus only task last night and whilst the notes in the task stated Cirrus only and all of us were making people aware there were still a few pilot's who took other gliders.

It appears in selecting Cirrus only when I uploaded the task doesn't restrict that much on CC though. My thoughts were that it wouldn't score anyone flying in anything other than a Cirrus on CC alas in the multiplayer score tab gliders other than the Cirrus scored.

What exactly is restricted when I upload a task and set it as Cirrus only? Does this mean the only restriction is you can only upload to the Best Performances tab if you were flying a Cirrus? Not all pilots upload their tracks to the Best Performance tab so getting a 100% race result removing the non Cirrus pilots is tricky.

Appreciate any feedback on what selecting an individual glider on uploading a task actually limits.

Cheers.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

BOD1

Re: Restricting task to single glider

Post by BOD1 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:01 pm

If the task has not been posted on CC where the limit can be set, it can't know...
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:16 am

Thanks for the reply BOD1.

This is the task.

https://www.condor-club.eu/showtask/0/?id=16997

As you can see I had selected single glider type of Cirrus only
Single1.JPG
However it allowed an LS8neo to score
Single2.JPG
Hence my question is it only restricted score wise via the 'Best Performances' tab?

Cheers

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:05 am

Condor can't be instructed to limit to a single glider, only to a single class. The scoring you show is the scoring computed by Condor itself, that's why you see other gliders.
But the score that matters is the official scoring is in Best Times tab which is computed from the FTR by CC and wrong selected glider are rejected.
It is the responsibility of the pilot to do his checklist correctly and to read the briefing sent before each race (when it's a competition).
In your case, when task is hosted and users do not necessarily visit CC before joining the server, it''s up to the organiser to inform them (through task description or in the welcome message when they connect to the server).
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:19 pm

Thanks BOD. You've confirmed it is as I thought.

I put a note in the task notes, in capitals too alas some pilots simply do not read them.

In this case several of us were highlighting Cirrus only but I think some pilots turn the HUD off and do not see the message. In future the 'kick' function may have to be used :lol:

JShieck

Post by JShieck » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:41 am

What if someone only want to fly this task for fun and not for competition? So why couldn't he fly an other glider?
It wouldn't disturb the others. However, in the race result on CC he will be ignored so it's not a problem for the others I think...

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:24 am

Partly because on VSC we have a Discord channel and it pulls the results from condor and displays them on one of our channels. Also not all pilots upload to the best performance tab. Whenever I set a task that is in a specific glider it is only ever in a default Condor 2 glider as I do not wish to force people to purchase a glider just to fly a task.

If people wish to fly any glider that's fine just fly the task at another point in time. As for not disturbing others, we've had a few non VSC pilots joining us recently and there are a few who need to learn about thermal etiquette, specifically join the thermal and turn in the same direction as the glider that is already established in the thermal!

Agreed not flying the same glider isn't a complete deal breaker it's just annoying pilots ignore TASK instructions. VSC don't want to password their server, the more the merrier but if you want to join in the fun then it'd just be appreciated you partake as per the remit of the task. Common courtesy you'd think?

JShieck

Post by JShieck » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:21 pm

You're completely right. Thermal etiquette is important! Everything else is dangerous!
And I agree that guests also should fly within the task's rules.
However, I sometimes oversee the task description :oops: , because it's often empty.
And when you get notified by other players it's often too late, because you have to give up your place in queue if you rejoin...

Next races I will read the task description. :wink:
Last edited by JShieck on Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:02 am

We're a very friendly bunch over at VSC. If someone joins last minute and hasn't realised then it is what it is and we go with it. It's when we've been sending many a message several minutes before the stop join finishes it becomes annoying. However as I said I also know some pilots fly with the HUD turned off so do not see written messages. In our Cirrus only race it was however pretty obvious, the sky was FULL of Cirrus (At least 30 of them) for most that'd make them realise :lol:

It is annoying if you're in a long queue to launch and you'll lose your slot. Most of our tasks now start as airborne so we don't see this problem.

Don't take what I'm typing as personal JShieck. We all miss the detail at times. I post up the tasks for VSC and the amount of times I forget to note the max start and min finish height is ridiculous :lol: TASKINFO is my best friend :mrgreen:

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:57 pm

Hello Paul_UK

IMHO we just need Sports/Mix/Custom class in C2. :) Nothing else.
So - fpl creator/tasksetter could choose gliders allowed for race. Could be just one, could be two, seven or eleven.
KISS principle.
It was proposed several times already, by me and others.

Read please Custom/special glider class for races viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18748
And vote. ;)

Take care!
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.

Post by 6266 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:54 am

Pit_R wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:57 pm
IMHO we just need Sports/Mix/Custom class in C2. :) Nothing else.
I red the threat and I agree, but there is one thing missing: The special rules for the club class. If you only pick the planes for a task, it's not enough

Example

Planes: LS4 and LS8, both are standard class and you can use water ballast

Planes: LS4 and Ka6, both are club class and you cannot use water ballast

BTW: Another thing is fixed ballast, in club class in RL you are allowed to use fixed ballast, but only to fly a two-seater alone. In Condor it's the same parameter for fixed ballast and for flying a two-seater with two. For me it's ok with no fixed ballast in club, but I know people who wish to fly club class with fixed ballast.

On Flat_Land_Club (tasks for club class) I would like to fly the planes from school too. I could set the tasks to All planes and import the results only from that planes which are club in RL, but in the results I cannot see if they used ballast. Today I only get the csv-file from the results. Maybe there is a way to get automatically the igc-file, but I haven't seen it until now
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
24 landscapes with free available textures, newest: AlpsE

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC