Competitions. Online? Offline?

Moderator: BOD1

Smithers-1968

Competitions. Online? Offline?

Post by Smithers-1968 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:10 pm

I've tried a few tasks and while I'm way off the pace it would be nice to have a go at competition.

I see they tend to be listed as tasks valid for a few hours, but there's also the multiplayer web page.

So, does this mean tasks have to be completed within the multiplayer session or can they be run offline and just uploaded before the expiry time?

On the other hand, I see some online sessions are public and have 0km. Are these just available to join for free flight to enjoy sharing with others?

I realise I can just join and try it out but don't want to upset anyone if that's not the done thing here!

wickid

Re: Competitions. Online? Offline?

Post by wickid » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:20 pm

There are races run every day like the Tchin Tchin races at 17:30 CET. They are free to join and usually very busy.

Also big organised competitions found here at various timeslots: http://www.condor-club.eu/comp/competitions/202/

Those are the best ways to find people to race against online. You can also have a look in the serverlist and join a race on a server without a password. But chances are there won't be many people on that server.
PH-1504, KOE

Smithers-1968

Post by Smithers-1968 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:18 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look.

So, do I need to download a flight plan first or does that happen automatically when joining the session?

I imagine watching everyone else fly off with no clue where I'm supposed to be going!

wickid

Post by wickid » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Flightplan is downloaded automatically when you join. If you register for a condor club competition you usually recieve an email with a briefing about the task some time before the server starts.
PH-1504, KOE

MrHerisson

Post by MrHerisson » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:27 am

Smithers-1968 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:10 pm
So, does this mean tasks have to be completed within the multiplayer session or can they be run offline and just uploaded before the expiry time?

You can fly tasks on or off line as you wish. Some even start online and finish offline because of connection problems, It has no effect on the scoring of the task, it is just more fun to fly with others. Of course, if you want to fly a task offline you should download the flight plan first (obviously).

If you want to fly them online, here is how it usually goes.

There is an opening time usually advertised on a site, (they most probably have a Team speak server which you should join...talking is easier than typing in flight)
There is a join time while you can get in and after which (usually 15 min) you will be locked out.

If you joined in time, you'll be placed in the take off queue.
When join time is over AND everyone has taken off, there is a wait period (1 to 3 min) after which the start window opens for about 30-40 min.

Once the start window is opened, you may start the race whenever you feel. You may restart the tasks as many times as you wish.
you can even land at the departure airport and ask for restart (if landed in one piece at the airport and allowed by tasksetter).

Once the start window is closed, you may still choose to postpone your start but your start time will be assumed as the window's closing time.
Smithers-1968 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:10 pm
On the other hand, I see some online sessions are public and have 0km. Are these just available to join for free flight to enjoy sharing with others?
Yep, they're just free flight sessions...

Hope this helps.

And do try to read a map of the task before starting it. if there is no available maps, download the fpl and take a look at the map from inside Condor.

Smithers-1968

Post by Smithers-1968 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:44 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. Since your post I randomly picked a free flight session. I was the only one there for about 10 minutes, then someone else joined and after a while there were about 5 of us sticking around.

Last week I even entered a competition series (Norway 2020). By the time I'd finished everyone else had gone home but I made it, finished the 225Km task and landed safely back at base feeling proud of my achievement as others had given up, landed out or crashed.

Then found my competition number was wrong so flight track was rejected! A lesson learned.

MrHerisson

Post by MrHerisson » Wed May 06, 2020 9:37 am

Yep, finishing up is a victory in itself.

Competition series are a hard thing, you fly tasks that are not easy with real experienced and competitive players.

As a beginner, you might want to join somewhat easier tasks with (at least some) people who don't really care for scoreboards.

I can advise you the Condor Cafe races http://blog.condor-velivole.eu/