Noob task question

Moderator: BOD1

Smithers-1968

Noob task question

Post by Smithers-1968 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi,

I recently joined the club and have had a go at a few tasks. Just trying to figure out how this all works before trying anything competitive.

So, did the first 5 XP tasks no problem. Can't download any more so guess level 6 up requires premium membership? Will do at some point.

Got my silver badge.

Then last night had a browse through the tasks list to see what that's all about. Picked a quick fun one - Grand (Grunau) Baby Prix https://www.condor-club.eu/showtask/0/?id=11232 . But when I uploaded by track it showed as 0 Km and detail says "task not started".

Thinking I'd done something wrong I checked the description which says that to start I have to fly through the window, which I did. So had a few more attempts but the task started message will not appear. Tried going through before and after the race is started message too.

Tried the photo over left wing thing, even though that's not asked for but it did nothing.

Wondered if perhaps I had a wing out of the box so tried several times at different speeds and as central as I could get. Nothing.

So maybe I'm going the wrong way? Nope, other direction gives me a penalty for entering the wrong way.

Also don't understand why it shows turn points as having been turned. Surely if it knows that it knows I've started?

The task itself must be OK because I see others have recorded a distance so what am I doing wrong?

Smithers-1968

Re: Noob task question

Post by Smithers-1968 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:37 pm

Sorted it. So I do need to take a photo after all.

I think part of the problem is that even though the VR view showed the left wing the photos were all front facing. Assigned the hat switch to change view and even though it does nothing in VR it seemed to cure the problem. Then it just took a few flypasts to register.

With no zone shown for the start I'm not sure how close I need to be but I was very close when it worked.

Defiant

Post by Defiant » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:36 pm

Now you get to play it forward...I don't understand how to start the task. I get towed into the semi-circle, but I don't see a ground reference for whatever I need to take a screenshot of. I've taken a SS before leaving the semi-circle, but it isn't right. Thanks for any help you can offer. Without a moving map/PDA I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for.

Al-Batross

Post by Al-Batross » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:17 am

I don't know that specific task. Acoording to the task screenshot it should be allowed.
-It helps pressing "J" for activating the turnpoint helpers.
-Then you have to be in the sector shown in the pda.
-When in there look to your left by pressing "Numpad 4" till you look along the axis of your wings.
-do a steep turn where your left wing roughly points to the intersection of the turnpoint indicator and the ground.
-press "s" for taking a picture of the Start Sector. A beep and a message appears that you have startet the Task.

I had to do it this way getting the silver badge but without pda.

MrHerisson

Post by MrHerisson » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:58 am

Defiant wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:36 pm
Now you get to play it forward...I don't understand how to start the task. I get towed into the semi-circle, but I don't see a ground reference for whatever I need to take a screenshot of. I've taken a SS before leaving the semi-circle, but it isn't right. Thanks for any help you can offer. Without a moving map/PDA I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for.
Press "J" to get the TP poles and take a screenshot of the base of the pole and your left wing in the same picture while flying in the turn zone on the map (below max alt if there is one).

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:06 pm

If Condor uses more than 1 screen, this must happen in screen #1
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Al-Batross

Post by Al-Batross » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 pm

Yes, as posted above: if you use a VR headset (i asume it is also true with TrackIR) you can't use these for looking left for the turnpoint picture. The view to the left must be done with the coolie hat switch of your flightstick or "Numpad 4"

MrHerisson

Post by MrHerisson » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:03 am

Al-Batross wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 pm
Yes, as posted above: if you use a VR headset (i asume it is also true with TrackIR) you can't use these for looking left for the turnpoint picture. The view to the left must be done with the coolie hat switch of your flightstick or "Numpad 4"
Track IR and one screen is no problem...and does not work well in multi screen

Filgueiras

Post by Filgueiras » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Bre901 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:06 pm
If Condor uses more than 1 screen, this must happen in screen #1
I use 2 screens, #2 at left. And I found that's enough to lean the left wing towards the base of the start pole ( being in start zone for sure ), and press the "photo" key. The screen shot shows only screen #1, no wing, no pole, but the task starts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Smithers-1968

Post by Smithers-1968 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:02 pm

What might have fixed this for me was turning on mirror mode. I did this because it makes VR a bit more sociable if the person I'm talking to can see what I see but noticed that all screenshots taken before were forward facing, now they're the view I get. Perhaps this fits with the viewing on main screen requirement?

For this particular task I could only make it work by flying very close to the window on the mountain side. I collected many screenshots from other angles. But I downloaded a successful flight track and it looks like that pilot started task on the approach to the window and appeared to swerve left to start and take a snap of the right wing. Everything I've found suggests it has to be left. Guess he could've been inverted!