Starting A Task in Free Flight

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Anthony Hollings

Starting A Task in Free Flight

Post by Anthony Hollings » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:59 pm

Hello

I've just downloaded Condor as I am now isolating due to Covid and missing my flying!
It's going pretty good so far. I've been round the Free Flight task twice now but it never started and so never logged my kms

What am I missing?
I can't see anywhere to actually start the task. The PDA won't change to the next turnpoint because it thinks I still need to start.

The only thing I can think of is that I might be crossing the start line too high but I can't see a limit anywhere...

Tony

Re: Starting A Task in Free Flight

Post by 6266 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:24 am

Two things:

The start gate wasn't open. A text shows the time until the start gate opens

The height was wrong. You find it in the flight planner, right click on the start, Properties
alt.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:09 am

As default sets not max height to start I think it'll be because you haven't waited the 10mins (default) for the start gate to be open.

In 6266's screenshot change the value under RACE IN to 1 and the value under TIME WINDOW to 60. This means 1 min after starting the flight the start gate will be open and you have a 60 min window to start the task.

After the RACE IN time at the top left counts down the 1 min set when you fly into the start gate quadrant it will turn green to indicate you are in it at the correct time and at that point you can head on to the first TP.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Anthony Hollings

Post by Anthony Hollings » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:01 am

Thanks!

I think I've got it now. I did wait for the gate to open, I was just too high.

The start and turn points were all messed up.
I've never done a 'rated' comp, just ICL friendlies and the odd Two Seater comp, so I wasn't aware of turn points having height restrictions. Yeah fair enough 2000' AGL at the start line is standard for what I've done but I have never come across turn points that stipulate a max height...

I landed out at TP2 because I wasn't aware of the restriction. I flew lower and lower until I needed the wheel down.
Looked like I might have needed to leave the sector and come back in under 600m. Yeah, meters, despite me having Feet set as height the sector had a maximum in Meters, grrr......

Oh and who on earth put TP1 on a mountain?
I climb to cloudbase (actually I get told off for going into cloud!) to get round TP1 but then from up there it's pretty much a cruise round the rest!

Tony

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:14 am

Us task setters like to do wacky things sometimes. I've created a task before and a cloud has annoyingly formed over TP1.

Ref heights being displayed what have you got your units set to? I have mine set to Imperial and on the PDA I see the Min / Max heights displayed in feet AMSL. So if the box read 25-55 I'd have to fly through the TP higher than 2500QNH and lower than 5500QNH.

Be warned some task setters set a minimum finish height. Arrive to low at the finish line and you'll then have to climb to finish. The box would read something like 6-328 which would mean you'd need to be above 600feet QNH but below 32800feet QNH.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:

Anthony Hollings

Post by Anthony Hollings » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:47 am

Hi Paul

I set customised units as to what I'm used to:
Feet, Kms, Knots.

The cockpit display is correct, including the PDA, but when you click on a turnpoint in preflight it shows the min/max settings in meters.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Correct, on the task page within Condor everything is in metres. It's a tad annoying when setting tasks as I have to convert feet to metres when creating a task and allow for rounding ensuring airspace doesn't start lower than what is stated on the PDA in feet and restricted / ATZ areas don't extend higher than what is on the PDA in feet.

Kasarex

Post by Kasarex » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:52 am

Hola amigos, yo tengo un problema parecido para iniciar un 30 por ciento de las misiones y es que paso por la ventana de inicio de la prueba a la altura correcta ydetrás del fantasma y no me detecta el paso. Hago varios intentos a diferentes alturas y no lo tetecta en ningun momento. Espero que esto le haya pasado a alguien más y tenga una solucion.
Este problema lo tuve en una mision en Eslovenia y lo solucionaba quitando la mision (archivo FPL ) arrancando conotra mision y despues volver a meter el FPL en su sitio y así me cogia el paso por la salida, aunque solo dos o tres veces , luego tenia que volver a hacer lo mismo.
Ahora el problema le tengo con la mision : Vol Kaegiswil-Finsteraahorn-Ambri. Pero nunca nunca hago que me detecte el inicio de la mision.
Agradecería que me ayudarais con este problema, un saludo
Deepl.com wrote:Hello friends, I have a similar problem to start 30% of the missions and is that I pass through the window of the start of the test at the correct height and behind the ghost and I do not detect the passage. I make several attempts at different heights and it doesn't detect it at any time. I hope this has happened to someone else and I have a solution.
I had this problem in a mission in Slovenia and I solved it by removing the mission (FPL file) starting with another mission and then put the FPL back in place and so I caught the passage through the exit, but only two or three times, then I had to do the same thing again.
Now the problem I have with the mission: Vol Kaegiswil-Finsteraahorn-Ambri. But I never ever make it detect the start of the mission.
I would be grateful if you could help me with this problem.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:54 pm

You cannot start a task when you see either 'Join time' or 'Race In' at the top left of the screen. If you have set for a Regatta start once the 'Race In' time reaches zero you may start. The idea with Regatta start is you cross the start line as soon after 'Race In' is zero as possible. If there is a start window then a message will appear in top left of the screen stating how long the start window is. If it is 5minutes you have 5 minutes to start the task after the 'Race In' time passes zero.

Maybe this is your problem?

Kasarex

Post by Kasarex » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:19 am

Muchas gracias por la rapida contestacion , pero creo que no me he explicado bien, yo me descargo un fantasma que ha hecho esa mision, y yo vuelo al lado suyo, espero a que pase por la linea de salida y teniendo en cuenta la altura , para que esté correcta, y no me coge el paso .
Yo he hecho muchas misiones y solo tengo problemas en algunas, en otras no me da ningun problema, y no sé donde puede estar el fallo.
Un saludo
Deepl.com wrote:Thank you very much for the quick answer, but I think I have not explained well, I download a ghost that has done that mission, and I fly next to him, I wait for him to pass through the starting line and taking into account the height, so that it is correct, and I do not catch the step.
I have done many missions and I only have problems in some, in others it does not give me any problem, and I do not know where the fault may be.
Greetings

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:37 pm

If the ghost glider you are following flew online then they could have joined the server at any point in time meaning that it's start task time may not align with yours if you are flying offline. If the ghost glider heads off on task prior to your screen stating the start gate is open or after the start gate closes you will not be able to start the task. You just need to keep an eye on what is stated in the top left of your screen.

Kasarex

Post by Kasarex » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:40 pm

Hola, he comprobado eltiempo de inicio de la prueba, y ya estaba en tiempo, tambien he intentado entrar a diferentes alturas por la puerta de inicio de la prueba y no me detecta nunca , no sé donde puede estar el problema, pues tengo muchisimas misiones en las que no tengo problemas, pero en esta que le indico y alguna mas, no veo la manera de poder competir en ellas. Muchas gracias por su interes, no he contestado antespor estar de viaje, un saludo
Deepl.com wrote:Hello, I have checked the start time of the test, and it was already on time, I have also tried to enter at different heights through the door at the beginning of the test and it never detects me, I do not know where the problem may be, because I have many missions in which I have no problems, but in this one that I indicate and some more, I do not see the way to compete in them. Thank you very much for your interest, I have not answered before because I am on a trip, greetings.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:39 pm

Upload the *.fpl file to here or link the task, if it is no Condor Club site. We can take a look and see if you we can replicate your problem.

Kasarex

Post by Kasarex » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:55 pm

Hola, como no me funcionaba lo habia quitado del simulador, pero ya lo he localizado , la mision es : Vol Sion-Jungfrau-Meiringen_CC .fpl.
Esta mision concretamente , no la puedo iniciar nunca , y como te dije, he intentado entrar a diferentes alturas especialmente entre 950 y 1050 m y no lo consigo.
Si quieres te mando un vuelo con el archivo con extension : .ftr.
Un saludo
deepl.com wrote:Hello, as it did not work I had removed it from the simulator, but now I have located it, the mission is: Vol Sion-Jungfrau-Meiringen_CC .fpl.
This mission specifically, I can never start it, and as I said, I have tried to enter at different altitudes especially between 950 and 1050 m and I can not get it.
If you want I send you a flight with the file extension: .ftr.
Best regards

Kasarex

Post by Kasarex » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:22 pm

En esa mision , he metido mi archivo de vuelo que acabo de hacer y no me ha cogido la entrada , Estoy en el puesto Nº 5 Miguel Casares.
Gracias por tu interes.
Deepl.com wrote:In that mission, I have put my flight file that I just did and I have not taken the entry, I am in the position No. 5 Miguel Casares.
Thanks for your interest.