Using slider as trimmer

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

MDE

Using slider as trimmer

Post by MDE » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:06 pm

I’ve just got a nice MS FF2 joystick, which I’m using with a Saitek (non-FF) with the spring disabled. The Saitek makes a very good air brake lever, so I’d like to use the slider on the MS FF2 as the trimmer. However, if I assign this in the setup, it doesn’t seem to work. Button control of the trimmer works fine. Any ideas?

Paul_UK

Re: Using slider as trimmer

Post by Paul_UK » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:29 am

Ensure you're assigning the axis to the TRIMMER action near the top of the assignments list which is in the red coloured area.

There are trim key assignments further down the list in the green coloured area, ignore those.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

be_adairing

Post by be_adairing » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:03 am

does it depend on the glider type? i think if you set 'force stick trim' then it will always use the assigned slider for the trim.

MDE

Post by MDE » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:24 am

Actually I think it's (sort of) working now (with Stemme S12). However, it only seems to work in flight, not pre-launch, and gives no indication of what the trim setting is - making it impossible to know what the trim setting is before launch/take-off.
I have set it to trim with both the slider and buttons - that way I can set it pre-launch. With these assignments, the slider does seem to work in-flight, but not always - sometimes I have to touch a button first. All rather confusing.
does it depend on the glider type? i think if you set 'force stick trim' then it will always use the assigned slider for the trim.
I didn't realise that - I'll do some more experiments.

timbaeyens

Post by timbaeyens » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:37 pm

On my Thrustmaster TWCS, I used the pinky wheel as trim slider, which I find handy as flap changes (the main slider/throttle), require re-trimming.
In Condor SETUP, Input, "Stick trim where available" is left blank.
In Assign controls, Trimmer is set to "Dial" on TWCS throttle.

Works like a charm in combination with MS FFB 2.

Tim
TT

AstirAl

Post by AstirAl » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:32 am

This is interesting.

I also have a Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 and Thrustmaster TWCS throttle. I've been using the Sidewinder's throttle lever for trim and the TWCS throttle as the airbrake.

This has been working perfectly for several months, until this week.

On Tuesday I joined a multiplayer game and found that I had no trim control at all. It was still bound to the Sidewinder throttle as expected, and re-binding didn't help. Binding to the TWCS wheel didn't work either.

"Stick trim where available" is turned off, and in any case I was flying the Duo Discus, which doesn't have stick trim.

If I bind trim to a pair of buttons, I get an on-screen indication that the trim position has changed, but there is no trim force and the glider's attitude doesn't seem to change. If I deliberately stall, the stick doesn't shake, so it seems that force feedback has stopped working altogether, despite still being enabled in the options.

Force feedback still works in other games like DCS, so the stick isn't broken.

Could be a bug?