Forum Search limit

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Kessa

Forum Search limit

Post by Kessa » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi folks,

I hope I'm posting this in the right section; apologies if not.

I've just performed a search on the forum and didn't get any results for the terms I'd entered, so I tried another search. However, a message appeared saying I'd have to wait another FIVE MINUTES before I could search again.

I appreciate sites have throttle limits to prevent abuse & DOS attacks, but to only allow 1 search every 5 minutes seems a little over zealous.

Would it be possible to either:
a) only implement the timer after 10 concurrent searches within x timeframe (ie 120secs), and/or
b) reduce the timeout to 30 seconds, and/or
c) remove the timer entirely for logged in users

Both would throttle sufficiently to reduce DOS attacks, and the 3rd option ensures front end protection whilst freeing up registered users.

Edit:
Looks like my login details were displaying but cached so it seems 3 already is in place (with a 30s limit which is fine) but for non-logged in users 1 & 2 are still valid.
Condor Competition ID - TK2

Crashgybe

Re: Forum Search limit

Post by Crashgybe » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:21 pm

You're not alone in your frustration with this feature, despite the deafening silence. It would likely reduce the number of duplicate questions posted if the search tool allowed more searching....
Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. (Churchill)