Oddity on winch launch online

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Paul_UK

Oddity on winch launch online

Post by Paul_UK » Thu May 07, 2020 9:59 pm

A few of us have noticed that sometimes when winching online (multiplayer) the glider is extremely unstable and pulls off to one side violently. I've had this happen to me in two tasks now. The strange thing is if you fly the exact same task offline the winch launch is perfectly smooth.

Has anyone else experienced this oddity?
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

tiberius

Re: Oddity on winch launch online

Post by tiberius » Thu May 07, 2020 11:09 pm

I’ve noticed it when flying with ghosts but not in multiplayer in TT or GP.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Fri May 08, 2020 2:41 pm

Neither of us had any ghost flights activated during these times.

It is peculiar and not linked to one scenery either, it has happened on different scenery files for me.

It almost feels like the joystick isn't calibrated or the connection point is right on the C of G.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:

wickid

Post by wickid » Fri May 08, 2020 5:10 pm

2 reasons i can think of:

- could be the offset winchhook. The K8 and the ASK21 have one for example as stated above

- problem with the scenery. On airports that do not have a grass or asphalt object the ground is rougher. That means that when you drop a tip it catches easier.
PH-1504, KOE

congo

Post by congo » Fri May 08, 2020 6:48 pm

This behaviour is due to stalling one wing first as angle of attack is too great.

To avoid it, transition smoothly into full climb.

In Condor2 this is difficult, the winch is very powerful and the glider accelerates quickly,
so the rotation into full climb can be very sudden.

Please try to fly off the ground gently, then VERY gently ease the stick back into full climb,
the problem goes away.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Fri May 08, 2020 9:18 pm

Thank you for the replies and I did think of all the situations you mention. It isn't the glider, I was trying in a DuoDiscus and another P.Sallen was trying to launch an EB29R and we both experienced the same.

I did think about the scenery however I'd surely experience the same when flying the task offline as I do online wouldn't I? The winch / launch point is always in the same place for online / offline yes?

It doesn't matter how gentle you are on the controls. It is like the controls are hyper-sensitive. If a wing starts to drop a little then even a small amount of correction in the opposite direction and the glider over-responds.

It is only recently I've noticed this issue, maybe since the update before the one today. As said it isn't just me that has experienced this.

congo

Post by congo » Mon May 18, 2020 5:58 am

I just tried winching the Duo and the EB29 on Slovenia with a slight crosswind in my online host.

Both gliders cg set to -2, trim nuetral, and they both rotated smoothly into full climb without any
control input other than keeping the wings level with aileron.
c2c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon May 18, 2020 7:53 am

Paul can you share the fpl so we can see if we can reproduce it?