Profound and instantaneous (within a microsecond) change in vertical air speed

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

digiproc

Profound and instantaneous (within a microsecond) change in vertical air speed

Post by digiproc » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:00 pm

Has anybody else seen this?:
Sometimes while flying, there will be an area where the vertical air speed radically changes INSTANTANEOUSLY, and then changes instantaneously back to it's original value a couple hundred feet later. For example, I might be experiencing a nice smooth +15 knot updraft for many seconds and then the very next MICROSECOND it's a nice smooth -18 knots downdraft also for multiple seconds, yet there is no reason there should be a downdraft, and typically it goes back to the +15 knot updraft a short distance later. I can promise you this is NOT some kind of simulated vertical wind sheer--it's definitely a bug because it changes instantaneously rather than over a few hundred milliseconds, and also when there is zero turbulence, otherwise. If I fly through the same spot, the abrupt change is still there--although I can't say whether it persists and/or varies in location over a long time. At first I wondered if it was a bug in the landscape stitching, but then I began to suspect it might be a bug in thermal simulation and possibly aggravated by my thermals settings (I ~think~ it happens when I set thermals stronger/wider, but for all I know it happens at other settings and its not even related to thermals). It's in Condor 2.1.0 and has been there at least the last couple of releases (since late last year, or so, when I first got Condor). It's not extremely prevalent, but I typically see it within the time it takes me to fly through 10 or 20 thermals. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Profound and instantaneous (within a microsecond) change in vertical air speed

Post by EDB » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:19 pm

Close to a ridge or not?
Condor2 simulates Compression and Ventury on ridge.

digiproc

Re: Profound and instantaneous (within a microsecond) change in vertical air speed

Post by digiproc » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:30 pm

No, not near a ridge. in fact, i just saw it at 18000ft

congo

Post by congo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:53 pm

Just a stab in the dark, but......

Make sure your task is not set to Wind = 0

Set the wind to something above zero, there used to be a bug in Condor 1 that may still be present.

digiproc

Post by digiproc » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:06 pm

OK, I'll make sure it's non-zero next time I'm in the air and see if I get it, thanks

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:09 pm

Is there really al lot of lift/sink or is it just the netto vario going crazy..?
Maybe this (?) : viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18417&hilit=netto

Please only use the Slovenia2 default map for replicating strange 'things'...

digiproc

Post by digiproc » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:07 am

Hmm, very interesting. Next time I have a chance I will try Slovenia, note the info in that other thread, and try to provide more details. Thanks.
(And yes, i was flying the Antares)