Glider Flight Manuals Wanted

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

wadjet

Glider Flight Manuals Wanted

Post by wadjet » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:05 pm

Hello everybody,

I am begging for your help and assistance. We have many beautiful and “powerful“ sailplanes in Condor 2, but how to fly them safely and efficiently remains a mystery for me, at least in regard of Jonker JS1C 18 Evo & Jonker JS1C 21, Lak Genesis II, Lange Antares 18s, Shempp-Hirth Ventus 3 (15 m & 18 m).

I believe that flight manual (or POH, GFH) is essential in this regard. Unfortunately glider flight manual for aforementioned sailplanes are probably kept as confidential files and manufacturers are not responding to my inquiries.

For this reason I am taking the opportunity for applying to you. Please share the flight manuals if you can. Many thanks in advance.

Find the link below for downloading copies of flight manuals I was able to collect up to date (both for C1 and C2:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qza58x7or2rn ... F_MGa?dl=0
I`d rather be the last who finished a task than the first who crashed.

Olympia

Re: Glider Flight Manuals Wanted

Post by Olympia » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:39 pm

I doubt very much that any of us RL glider pilots ever saw a 'flight manual'. Certainly not an official one. In my time we were just briefed by an instructor who had experience of the plane (invariably a single seater) and sent off to have a first solo in a new type. Moving from basic types like the T31 or T21 into the likes of a Skylark 2 or Olympia 2B was quite an experience. The totally enclosed cockpit was a very new thing fot us stick and string pilots. I never heard of anyone coming unstuck using this procedure. One soon became confident that a new type would not present any problems. I was often offered rides in planes I had never flown at other clubs as a visitor. Examination of your log book was usually enough, though at an unfamiliar site I often asked for a two-seater trip to check the circuit pattern and suss out the ridge if they had one.

What I did do, was write a handbook for my own Olympia 2B for the benefit of my syndicate partners. I was 'senior pilot' (an insurance requirement as some off them were relatively low hours) but it mostly concerned the operation of the instruments and routine maintenance. It certainly did not tell how to fly the machine! By the time I got to Olympia 463, Skylark 4 and Dart I would have been mildly insulted to have been offered a 'handbook.

As Condor is only a simulator you cannot kill yourself if you make a mistake. Why not just fly these machines you mention, and find out their handling characteristics the way we always did it. Try stalling to get a figure for that, as most of the things that might go wrong occur round that speed. After that you should explore the spin recovery performance as you need that to avoid accidents at low level. Most gliders are looped at around 2 X stalling speed as a guide. Try it. You have nothing to lose. Enjoy.
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)
CN: AW

wickid

Post by wickid » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:10 am

The flight manuals for the modern planes do tell you how to fly them. Stuff like spin recovery, optimum flap settings, recommended flap settings for takeoff and landing.

At our club when you transition to a new type you have to study the manual first and the instructor will ask you questions about specific items or procedures on that plane that differ from standard.

Unfortunately most manuals are indeed not freely available.
PH-1504, KOE

wadjet

Post by wadjet » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:37 am

Thank you wickid. That`s the point.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:44 pm

wickid wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:10 am
The flight manuals for the modern planes do tell you how to fly them. Stuff like spin recovery, optimum flap settings, recommended flap settings for takeoff and landing.

At our club when you transition to a new type you have to study the manual first and the instructor will ask you questions about specific items or procedures on that plane that differ from standard.

Unfortunately most manuals are indeed not freely available.
That was the case for me when I changed type too at my club. Each time I was sent off to read the manual stored at the launch point, and none of these are complex to fly, i.e. have flaps (ASK21, Grob 102 and Discus). You can find manuals for some gliders online but mostly older gliders or the common ones used by clubs for training. That's not much use to the OP though.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

hess8

Post by hess8 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:12 am

wadjet wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:05 pm
Find the link below for downloading copies of flight manuals I was able to collect up to date (both for C1 and C2:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qza58x7or2rn ... F_MGa?dl=0
Wadjet, thank you for collecting all these manuals! I know it's not easy to find them. I hope people will donate copies of the ones you are missing.

Bret

wadjet

Post by wadjet » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:27 pm

By courtesy of f_france pilot you can find now aditional two flight manuals for Ventus a&b and Ventus 2 c(x) in my Dropbox storage.
Both are in French. I personally believe that knowledge hungry pilots will find their way how to get what they desire in any language :wink: .
Enjoy your reading and safe flying.

mabcat

Post by mabcat » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:04 pm

Thank you for collecting all these manuals. If I come across any others I'll share them with you of course.