Game Freezez / Landscape fails to refresh.

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Skipper102

Game Freezez / Landscape fails to refresh.

Post by Skipper102 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:56 am

Hello, guys and fellow enthusiasts,

I am currently experience a weird hang up and freeze almost always 4min in or so where the landscape freezes and I have to exit the simulator.

current log is as follow:

CONDOR LOG STARTED AT 6:31:18 PM
Condor version: 2060
Creating splash screen.
Loading cursors.
Loading fonts.
Creating controlers.
Creating client.
Creating replay.
Creating flighttrack.
Loading GUI skins.
Loading skin hash list.
Checking skin hash list.
Saving skin hash list.
Reading language.
Writing installdir.
Reading lastplayer.
Reading defaultlandscape.
Loading Setup.
Destroying splash screen.
ENTERING SETUP.
Enumerating devices.
0: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series.
VIDEO RAM: 2028.1 Mb.
1: Microsoft Basic Render Driver.
VIDEO RAM: 0.0 Mb.
SELECTED: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series.
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1.
Left: 0.
Right: 1024.
Top: 0.
Bottom: 768.
Attached to desktop: True.

STARTING REPLAY SIMULATION AT 6:31:48 PM.
Debug mode: False, False.
Creating window.
0: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series.
1: Microsoft Basic Render Driver.
VIDEO RAM: 0.0 Mb.
SELECTED: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series.
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1.
Left: 0.
Right: 1024.
Top: 0.
Bottom: 768.
Attached to desktop: True.
Initializing DirectX 11 framework.
Window size: 1024 x 768.
Created D3D11 Device.
Created Swap Chain.
Created RenderTarget View.
Created DepthStencil Texture.
Created DepthStencil View.
Created DepthStencil ShaderResourceView.
Created 1 swap chains.
Switching to fullscreen mode.
Finished initializing DirectX 11.
Creating game objects.
Aquiring controlers.
Force feedback not initialized.
Initializing TrackIR.
Init_TrackIR_Dll failed with error code: 4.
TrackIR initialization failed.
Creating Scene.
Creating HUD.
Creating Sound.
Loading sounds.
Creating Flightcomp.
Loading polar data.
Loading turnpoints.
Creating home airfield.
Creating Ghosts.
Creating Avion.
Creating Cameras.
Creating World.
Creating Land.
Creating Ground objects.
Creating Sun.
Creating Sky.
Creating Wind.
Creating Thermals.
Creating High Clouds.
Creating Middle Clouds.
Creating Turbulence.
Creating CloudFog.
Creating LiftHelp.
Creating TaskHelpers.
Creating Airports.
Creating CloudShadows.
Initializing Sun.
Initializing Airports.
Computing coarseHeightMap.
Caching terrain.
Tesselating Land.
TaskHelpers AfterTesselate.
Airports AfterTesselate.
Initializing Thermals.
HighClouds AfterRefresh.
Initializing middle clouds.
Initializing cloud shadows.
Initializing Avion.
Loading Avion.PlaneData from DuoDiscus.
Creating Avion.Water.
Creating Avion.Wheelsmoke.
Creating Avion.Smoke.
Creating Avion.GeometryIE.
Creating Avion.GeometryP2.
Creating Avion.GeometryS.
Creating Avion.Skin.
Creating Avion.PolarData.
Creating Avion.FusPolarData.
Creating Avion.Stress.
Creating Avion.Damage.
Creating Avion.Flex.
Creating Avion.RCN.
Creating Avion.Panel.
Creating Avion.Pilot.
Preparing for start.
Initializing Cameras.
Initializing FlightTrack.
Initializing FlightComp.
Initializing GroundObjects.
Initializing timer.

ENTERED SIMULATION AT 6:32:12 PM.
Landscape refresh start at 6:36:34 PM. (where the screen freezes /landscape and cockpit but the wind directions and numbers /FPS keep moving)
Landscape refresh stopped at 6:36:40 PM.
Exit flight initiated by user.

Any help would be appreciated i would really like to be able to fly for more then 4min with out having to exit the program.

PC specs are as follows

AMD A10-7850K Radeon
16 GB of DDR3 @1600mhz
AMD R7 265 GRAPHICS CARD 2GB

I have tried all the compatible modes and have also run stress test on the hardware everything checks out I could really use some help/answers.

janjansen

Re: Game Freezez / Landscape fails to refresh.

Post by janjansen » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:06 pm

Is it with any landscape or the included Slovenia landscape?

Two things you could try:
- disable Google Drive, antivirus or other background apps that could possibly interfere. Google drive in particular has been reported to give issues to some users.
- reinstall?

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:44 pm

Skipper102 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:56 am

AMD A10-7850K Radeon
16 GB of DDR3 @1600mhz
AMD R7 265 GRAPHICS CARD 2GB

I have tried all the compatible modes and have also run stress test on the hardware everything checks out I could really use some help/answers.
It looks like you have 2 graphics cards installed.
AMD A10-7850K Radeon : G3D Mark = 1020 which is the minimal value for Condor
AMD R7 265 GRAPHICS CARD 2GB has no mark, but is considered as a 7850 which has a G3D Mark = 3844

Which card do you use with Condor ? ([GRAPHICS] tab in the SETUP window)
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Skipper102

Post by Skipper102 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks for the quick reply gents I am using the r7 265 as the main card and have the apu that's part of the cpu disabled via bios, and according the the amd profiler I am only using the pci-e dedicated card.

the graphics tab aslo confirms the r7 200series card. Getting really good fps.

and it is the original provided landscape of Slovenia.

I will try to reinstall and use a different card later tonight.
Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Also is windows update current?
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:45 pm

As you run stress tests is your PC overclocked? If so even though it has passed stress tests try it without the the overclock, especially if you've had to mess with voltages.

Did you run memtest and check each individual stick of ram? It would appear that the issue occurs at a high load point on the PC so it might be stick 2 or 3 is a bit dodgy?

Chipset drivers and storage drivers might also be worth checking too as these both effect data transfer speeds.

How long have you left the system to see if it does pop back to life eventually? Tried changing views, pressing F2 at point where it freezes?
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Skipper102

Post by Skipper102 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:27 pm

Excellent points guys,

The pc is all stock clocks, ran the amd stress test for an hour came back with a clean bill of health. I will run memtest and check however I have booted and spent several hours in warthunder with no issues different game but none the less it gave real world load values.

I will check chipset and storage drivers I am using an old 180gb HD sata connection I had lying around,( it works just old if all else fails and I really don't want to I'll try it with a newer HD might even put a cheap ssd)

My last choice would be to try and run it with my old HD 4850 and see if still has the same problem.

You've been really helpful let me know if there is anything I should try I'll post back results when the tests are complete.

Skipper102

Post by Skipper102 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Paul_UK wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:45 pm

How long have you left the system to see if it does pop back to life eventually? Tried changing views, pressing F2 at point where it freezes?
Sorry for the double post forgot to answer no camera change (I'll try again) but like I said fps seems to keep going up and down and wind direction is still moving still no landscape, I have left it on for upwards of 2 hrs no change.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:28 am

Is there also still sound? Is the glider still flying? If there is sound you can check this by nosing the glider over and you should hear increase in wind noise. I'm trying to figure out which parts are still working and which are not.

Will say usually if you have dodgy ram it tends to totally stop everything from working and your problem doesn't sound like this is the case.

You're definitely on the latest drivers for all hardware? Any BIOS updates required?

Certainly a bizarre issue you have there.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:03 am

That old HDD is the most obvious culprit. You could do a quick test by simply making a copy of the condor2 folder. If that fails or takes a dramatically long time, then there is a problem reading from the drive and you need to look no further. OTOH, being able to copy it doesnt really disprove the theory yet (you arent checking file integrity), but its something easy to try.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Jan has picked up on another point. How full is the 180gb drive? is there a pagefile set on it and if so how big? what speed is your 180gb?

My install of Condor 2 is on a 1tb 7200rpm SATA HDD and I only get very small / if any freezes at landscape refresh time. My HDD has very little on it other than Condor. In short Condor 2 will run OK on a 7200rpm SATA HDD, not sure what it'd be like on a slower 5000rpm spinner. If your PC uses AHCI ensure this is all enabled and functioning correctly. You'd think after 2 hours things would have caught up if the drive being slow was the issue. If however the drive has very little free space that I could see potentially causing issues.

Skipper102

Post by Skipper102 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:25 am

Paul_UK wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:45 pm
Jan has picked up on another point. How full is the 180gb drive? is there a pagefile set on it and if so how big? what speed is your 180gb?

My install of Condor 2 is on a 1tb 7200rpm SATA HDD and I only get very small / if any freezes at landscape refresh time. My HDD has very little on it other than Condor. In short Condor 2 will run OK on a 7200rpm SATA HDD, not sure what it'd be like on a slower 5000rpm spinner. If your PC uses AHCI ensure this is all enabled and functioning correctly. You'd think after 2 hours things would have caught up if the drive being slow was the issue. If however the drive has very little free space that I could see potentially causing issues.
That is the conclusion I'm coming to as well it is a spare laptop drive so it is spinning at the Lower 5400 sata and had around 60% free I will try with a new drive installing condor on it and hopefully I can keep the OS on the old drive not wanting to clone my drive ect.

Very bizzare indeed I wouldn't think it would cause such a problem it has ran some games and boots and does the mundane tasks ect just fine. I will do a read / write test, if I get the chance I have a busy weekend ahead.

Also an earlier update from my trials. swapping to the onboard apu is running rough and the issue persisted.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:02 am

With 60% free I'd have not thought space would be an issue and you should have little slow down caused by that. If all other pieces of software are running at a speed you'd expect that points to the HDD performing as you'd expect.

What is APU? is it the same as an onboard GPU (Graphics processing unit)? As you mentioned this is activated / de-activated in BIOS that's why I suggested to check you have the latest BIOS rev installed in case this is causing an issue.

Someone suggested turning off AV in a previous reply, have you tried that yet? I set my Condor install directory as safe in my AV so that my AV never scans any of the files located in that directory.

When you put the laptop drive in your current setup you did re-format / reinstall the OS / drivers etc?

blacksun

Post by blacksun » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:06 pm

I noticed from the log that you managed to exit the flight or condor, so I was wondering if condor had locked up or if it just stopped responding to the joystick and head tracking system but otherwise kept working? On my PC, flying with a rift, intermittently Condor looses focus and I have no control over condor until i click on the condor 2 window on the desktop.

Skipper102

Post by Skipper102 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:49 am

blacksun wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:06 pm
I noticed from the log that you managed to exit the flight or condor, so I was wondering if condor had locked up or if it just stopped responding to the joystick and head tracking system but otherwise kept working? On my PC, flying with a rift, intermittently Condor looses focus and I have no control over condor until i click on the condor 2 window on the desktop.
Hi guys im back with more testing. I have tried the a new hard drive (along with a fresh install) and the issues persists.

APU is a gpu attached the cpu that AMD does it is turned off and completely disabled with the most current bios.

So yes the screen freezez but I can see the timer/wind direction still moving and counting and my FPS counter going as if it is still active however I have no control or any key input that registers besides pressing escape to exit . I have tried both flight stick and keyboard controls and alt + tab trying to get it to start again it just hangs in limbo.

I will try my laptop which has an Nvida card see if it does any better.

Again the help is appreciated.