Input controls

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

gsurfdude

Input controls

Post by gsurfdude » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Hello again. I am back. Now that I have somewhat a decent machine to fly this, now it's time to ask about joystick and rudder pedals. My hardware is:

Logictech Extreme 3D Pro joystick
Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

When doing a "free flight" using airborne - already in the air. The glider is extremely hard to control. Both devices are way, way sensitive. And the joystick almost seems to not respond. I went in to a spin suddenly like I had no control. The rudder pedals don't respond very good either. In the set up under input there's the Ratio and non-linear. I have tried to tweak this so that the controls are not as sensitive. In FSX both work fairly good. Even in RL glider the stick and rudder aren't so bad. I watch youtube videos and they look really good and controlled. I have not even done aerotow yet. Still trying to figure out how to calibrate/set up input for them. If you have screen shot of the input screen using these hardware please I'd like to see them. I did search this site and not a lot of info. And google doesn't have much either.

I down loaded both drivers for windows 7 from logitech's web site. Have not tried it yet.

Thanks in advance..

G...

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Input controls

Post by EDB » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:12 pm

Did you calibrate your USB game controllers correctly in Windows..?

gsurfdude

Post by gsurfdude » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:45 pm

Well now. I just saw a video on youtube for calibrating this one. I did not know to hold the CTl+Shift buttons while in the device's properties. I will try this. Short answer to your question: Guess not.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:51 pm

control shift?
I was going to post a link to some page explaining how to calibrate a joystick in windows, as it usually self explanatory, then noticed you use windows 7, since I havent used that in a long time, I added that to my google query and came across a page explaining you need to press control and shift to calibrate your logitech on w7 lol:
https://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/1933 ... ation.html

Probably what you saw. And quite insane!

gsurfdude

Post by gsurfdude » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:13 pm

Yea, gotta love windows alright. Well I did calibrate the joystick. I tried to adjust the ratio/non-linear. I then did a free flight in the air. And still, the glider just spiraled out of control in to a spin. How do you adjust this so it's not so sensitive. Even RL isn't that hard. I've watched plenty of youtube videos and they are smooth and not jerky. If anyone has a logitech extreme 3d pro joystick would you mind sharing your setup/input screen? In FSX it works fine. I use Condor for actual training and FSX for "fun".

Thanks!!

G

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:09 pm

How slow do you fly your glider?

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:41 pm

gsurfdude wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:13 pm
Yea, gotta love windows alright. Well I did calibrate the joystick. I tried to adjust the ratio/non-linear. I then did a free flight in the air. And still, the glider just spiraled out of control in to a spin. How do you adjust this so it's not so sensitive. Even RL isn't that hard. I've watched plenty of youtube videos and they are smooth and not jerky. If anyone has a logitech extreme 3d pro joystick would you mind sharing your setup/input screen? In FSX it works fine. I use Condor for actual training and FSX for "fun".

Thanks!!

G
First of all, verify your joystick works properly in the calibration/test page of windows. Double check in condor by comparing the on screen stick with your joystick (same for rudder).

If your stick works as advertised, well, if you are flying a Diana full of water ballast and trying to thermal at 90 KmH, it may not jive with your real world experience if that is in an ask21.

BTW, I dont have that stick, but I have flown with it a long time ago, and I found it absolutely hopelessly inaccurate. But not to the point of being unflyable.

gsurfdude

Post by gsurfdude » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:06 pm

Ok, cool JenJansen. Thanks for the input. What is the consensus on what the best joysticks are for this particular sim? On the web site cumulus soaring:

https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/condor2.htm

The author really pushed the Logitech Extreme 3D pro.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:01 pm

Thats easy, the microsoft sidewinder force feedback 2 (the 2 is important).
The not so easy part is finding one, as they have been out of production for 15 or so years. If you are lucky you can sometimes pick one up on ebay or similar sites for 25 or 50 euro.

That said, Im not convinced your problem is the joystick.

gsurfdude

Post by gsurfdude » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:28 pm

Yea, I agree with you on that. My suck ass skill for one using this sim!! LOL.. And after doing some digging on google I found out that the joystick 'does' work, But it is not a Force feedback. On my set up, that is enabled. Also having it having to much non-linear. I reached out to a guy here in the states, the one guy from cumulus soaring to ask him too. Yes, the joy stick you mentioned is a bit hard to come by; and on ebay you kinda take a chance of it not working as they're used. The RL soaring club I belong to wants to implement this sim as training aid. Luckily, I live in Florida so I can fly year round. But I also want to 'practice' at home. Looking at possibly getting the training stuff from gliderbooks.com.

G