Installation folder?

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

SteveK

Installation folder?

Post by SteveK » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:49 am

The Condor 2 installer seems to want to install into C:\Condor2 i.e. directly off of root of C:

Any reason for this? It’s soooo Windiws 98! :)

When I ran my installer this morning, I DID change that to a folder under program files. I was under the impression that Condor 2 paid attention to the modern program/data segregation. Is that the case?

I’m quite capable of adjusting permissions if I need to (It’s my trade) but I’d really rather keep the segregation in permissions between code and data if I can.

arneh

Re: Installation folder?

Post by arneh » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Yes, it will put flight tracks, tasks, screenshots etc. in a user directory separate from the install folder.

Uros
Condor Team

Post by Uros » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:16 pm

You can use Program Files of course. However, due to the nature of Condor - lots of addons, we thought it's better to keep it outside.
Uros Bergant,
Condor Team

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:48 pm

arneh wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:05 pm
Yes, it will put flight tracks, tasks, screenshots etc. in a user directory separate from the install folder.

Can it put them to Condor2 subfolders?
I like Win98 philosophy more than separate users folders somewhere else.
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.

Uros
Condor Team

Post by Uros » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:13 pm

No, documents\Condor is the default and only location. I actually think it's very handy.
Uros Bergant,
Condor Team

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:24 pm

I think not to everyone + it is less flexible IMHO.
Also system itself (coz of virus, win10 update, smthng else) may fail or system HDD may be broken and all your things gone. I know you can set user folders to different place but it is still inconvenient. Would be great to give people choice it in the next patch. :)

to send me a PM.

SteveK

Post by SteveK » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:52 pm

Since Vista, the permissions model model changed to (attempt to) force segregation between code and data, and segregation of data and configuration between users. That is important IT security circles.

That change is where the Virtualstore issues came into Condor 1. It’s legacy architecture was fighting against the new way.

The goal is that users should not need to know that C: exists,or have access to other users data on the pc or be affected by their configurations. Additionally (for malware protection) without admin level access and accepting a UAC prompt, user actions should not be able to alter system wide program code or system wide settings.

The Vista model sorted out those problems. True Win 7 made the solutions more palatable.

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 pm

Thanks for lecture however, due to the nature of Condor... I would like to have user files also outside system folders. That's all. :)
The goal is that users should not need to know that C: exists,or have access to other users data on the pc or be affected by their configurations. Additionally (for malware protection) without admin level access and accepting a UAC prompt, user actions should not be able to alter system wide program code or system wide settings.
BTW: hard to believe, in 2018, that ten years ago people was able to upload their igcs to ftp server with proper name conventions! ;)

to send me a PM.