Windows 11 trouble with Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedals

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

sminar

Windows 11 trouble with Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedals

Post by sminar » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:01 am

I’ve been running Condor 2 on an Apple iMac in Bootcamp under Windows 10 for the last year or so.
It’s worked well, but I decided I wanted to create a Condor 2 specific setup.
I picked up a new Windows PC with an Nvidia 3070 Ti and a 34” QHD Curved Gaming Monitor.
Sometimes I fly with an Oculus/Meta Quest 2 VR headset as well.

I just started setting up the new box and getting everything dialed. I plugged in the joystick and rudder pedals and fired up Condor 2. It didn’t see them. Duh. I forgot to install the Logitech and Thrustmaster drivers and software.

Went to both websites and found that neither offers drivers or software that’s Windows 11 compatible.

Windows 11 doesn’t have native drivers and doesn’t recognize either device as a HID or gaming controller.

While Windows 11 isn’t a big departure from Windows 10, I’m reluctant to install Windows 10 versions of the drivers/control software. Google results seem to indicate that others have created significant issues by doing so.

Has anybody bumped into the same issue and overcome it?

If not, any favorite Windows 11 compatible joysticks and rudder pedals?

I’m surprised and irritated that Logitech and Thrustmaster haven’t stepped up and provided Windows 11 support for these. They are both popular controllers. Mine are in excellent condition. It would be a waste to have to replace them.
Last edited by sminar on Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Windows 11 trouble with Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and Thrustmaster TFPR Rudder Pedals

Post by EDB » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:12 pm

Maybe install Windows 10...?

PS
Do the input devices get enough power?

sminar

Re: Windows 11 trouble with Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedals

Post by sminar » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:28 pm

Both are great suggestions!

I might ditch Windows 11 and go back to Windows 10. Irritating with a brand-new machine that's under warranty, but it may be the best solution path. Planning to try continue trying with Windows 11 for a bit longer first.

Powered USB hub testing is on my short list.

Have a support request out to Thrustmaster re: the TFRP rudder pedals. Some evidence that others have had no trouble with them under Windows 11. I'd prefer confirmation before installing their latest public driver package (published in 2018 or 2019).

I'm researching alternatives to the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. I think it's unlikely I'll find a stable driver/software solution for it.
Last edited by sminar on Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sminar

Re: Windows 11 trouble with Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedals

Post by sminar » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:16 pm

Updates for those that might be following

I had conversations with both Logitech and Thrustmaster regarding drivers for Windows 11.
Both support staff members said the drivers would work under Windows 11 despite not officially being blessed as Windows 11 drivers.
This advice conflicts with info found on their forums, FAQs, and in various Google search results.

I decided to trust support and give it a try. I did create a restore point in case things went sideways and I wanted to restore the PC to it's state before drivers/software were installed.

So far, so good. Both driver packages installed without a challenge and both devices appear to be working as expected. I've not yet attempted to use configuration or utility apps associated with either device, but I have successfully mapped both devices to Condor 2.

Meanwhile, the initial friction got me looking for alternative controls and had me exploring options from vkbcontrollers.com, MFC-Sim.com, WinWing, Virpil, Brunner, Slaw, and others. The journey proved dangerous to the wallet. I have placed an order for a new joystick: VKB Controller's Gladiator NXT EVO 'Space Combat Edition' - SCG Premium Right joystick. It should be a significant step up. I won't see it for 7+ days as it ships from China to the US.

I'll be using my existing joystick and pedals for now. If I come across any more useful details regarding the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, I'll post a reply.