Condor 2 to SeeYou Navigator

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

cthaeler

Condor 2 to SeeYou Navigator

Post by cthaeler » Tue May 25, 2021 12:59 am

Is it possible to setup Condor (or probably the Win10 PC it's running on) to communicate via bluetooth to SeeYou running on an iPhone?

I've found various hints but I can't find a real solution.

Thanks!
C. Thaeler
COMM ASEL IA
CFI ASE Glider
Ventus 2c SE

CrestedFox36298

Re: Condor 2 to SeeYou Navigator

Post by CrestedFox36298 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:20 pm

I am also interested in connecting SeeYou Navigator from https://naviter.com/ to connect to Condor2. Any hints? XCsoar and LK9000 I can connect to my Android device via virtual serial port, but not SeeYou.
For each hint, I am happy to read!

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:29 pm

Naviter is fairly active on Facebook. So that is where I have been leaving comments requesting support for NMEA (over WiFi) similar to how it works with iGlide. Wouldn't hurt if more people posted on their Facebook page requesting this feature.

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)

bobmorane

Post by bobmorane » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:23 pm

Has anybody managed to get this working? I wonder if it's supposed to work with standard bluetooth as their site states "SeeYou Navigator 2.0 is able to connect directly with devices that expose Serial NMEA setneces over Bluetooth Low Energy."

bobmorane

Post by bobmorane » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:11 pm

Naviter responded that their Bluetooth Low Energy dongle was required:
https://b2b.naviter.com/product/naviter ... le-condor/

It's a bit expensive at 74 €. I'll probably buy a cheap 9€ serial to BLE or USB to BLE module and give it a try.

They may have added a proprietary hook to prevent using another module, we'll see

bobmorane

Post by bobmorane » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:32 pm

I got Condor to SeeYou Navigator Android working today!

I wanted to be able to try both behind a FLARM as well as on a PC with Condor, so I purchased a cheap 10€ serial-to-bluetooth 4.0 (BLE / bluetooth low energy) module. I then connected it to a USB-to-serial (TTL, not RS232) module, also sub 10€.

It was a bit of a pain to set the baud rate of the BT module, but I got it working and was able to replay a saved IGC file from SeeYou Windows, as well as to connect to Condor.

The BLE device I purchased is "DSD TECH HM-19 Module Bluetooth 5.0 BLE" on Amazon. It is pin-compatible to the HC05/HC06 often used on the back of FLARMs by DIYers.

It is connected to my PC through a USB to serial (TTL) module based on the popular CP210x chip, e.g. on amazon.fr “WINGONEER CP2104 convertisseur série USB 2.0 pour TTL UART Module 6PIN”. The USB to serial module is enough to power the Bluetooth module, so no need of an external power supply.

To connect the CP210x to the HM19, simply cross Rx and Tx:
CP2102 - HM19
Rx - Tx
Tx- Rx
5V - VCC
GND – GND

Finally, on Condor or SeeYou Windows (for a replay of IGC), set the SW to output the NMEA stream to the COMx serial port of the CP210x module – you can find it in Device Manager / Ports (COM & LPT), in my case it was “Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM6)”

The HM19 BLE module got detected in SeeYou Navigator Android and was very straightforward.

lk8000 & xcsoar
Incidentally I was glad to see that the HM19 was compatible with LK8000 and xcsoar (it shows as other BT 2.0 devices) just like the HC05, so the HM19 can also be used behind our club's fleet today using the HC05

Useful tools
Serial Bluetooth Terminal on Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... h_terminal
Allows to check that the NMEA stream is received properly from the BT module on the Android phone, before trying SeeYou Navigator

YAT / Yet Another Terminal on Windows
https://sourceforge.net/projects/y-a-terminal/
Allows to send data to the COM port manually, e.g. to change the baud rate of the BT module. Note: to be able to change settings on the BT module, ensure it is not connected via Bluetooth to any device

Datasheet of the HM19 (similar to HM18)
http://www.dsdtech-global.com/search/label/hm-18
AT commands to configure it

Direct USB to Bluetooth 4.0
It should theoretically be possible to connect directly a USB to BT 4.0 module on a PC (without going through a USB to serial TTL module), but in that case I am not certain how to configure the USB/BT module to advertise a serial COM port to Windows, for Condor to send the NMEA stream.

If anyone gets that working I’m keen to replicate.

Next
I will try to connect the HM19 to the back of a FLARM or LX9070 to use the onboard sensors (GPS, barometer, airspeed, wind?) rather than the smartphone’s GPS. For that, depending on the serial port used, it is necessary to convert the RS232 levels of the FLARM to TTL – it can be done with a few resistors and a transistor or a MAX232.

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:00 am

I went ahead and sprung for the Naviter Bluetooth dongle - just got it and it works with absolutely no fuss. $99(USD) is indeed a bit pricy - but it does come with a free year of their subscription service.

Now that Navigator supports tasks, I think SeeYou is going to be main flight computer this year.

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)

CrestedFox36298

Post by CrestedFox36298 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:15 pm

Hi,
also received the dongle and an extenstion of the substription was directly extended after conversation with Naviter (so, the price for the dongle is ok taking shipping, administration into account) in my account. Dongle and Condor is working perfect. I would say, for real flying, it is great. For Condor, I have decided still to use XCsoar as it is masking the mountains (slopes) depending on the wind, which SeeYou can't do at the moment. Request at Naviter, if I have forgotten to see an option to switch this on, was answered by Naviter that this is not yet a feature (or they misunderstood me). If you have an instruction on how this would work also in SeeYou Android app, I would welcome the tip!
Pro for See You:
- Flight Planning in See You cloud - best tool compared to others (from my point of view).
- Analyzing the flights is perfect with the 3D-Model in PC program. You can compare all the igc files from your competitors.
- Using the correct wind - Nord west or South east (how Naviter has done it and the slopes are correct displayed in the Android app, it was perfect. Anyother wind direction - as mentioned above, not usable.
Con:
- Flight planning is done better in SeeYou Cloud, analyzing in PC program. One tool (on PC and not in cloud) would be better.
- Not displaying slopes depending on wind calculation by GPS data - is disappointing. I hope, that if you support and request this at Naviter, this would may also be supported in future.

Request to the community:
1. Please support, if you want to have the feature concerning mountain slope masking,, at naviter directly.
2. If you have better tools for planning, navigation and reviewing your flights, please reply here.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:32 pm

CrestedFox36298 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:15 pm
[...] 2. If you have better tools for planning, navigation and reviewing your flights, please reply here.
[Free advertising]

1/planning:
CoTaCo now converts .fpl files to .cup format. Version 3.4.1 is available on my webpage (see link in my signature).
Some minor bugs have been corrected recently, a beta version is available but I'm still waiting for feedback by users before releasing it "officially", see there : viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18102&start=135#p177924

2/Flight analysis:
If flight safety matters for you, you might want to take a look at my flight analysis sotftware: VerifLocal
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

CrestedFox36298

Post by CrestedFox36298 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:51 pm

Bre901 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:32 pm
1/planning:
CoTaCo now converts .fpl files to .cup format. Version 3.4.1 is available on my webpage (see link in my signature).
Some minor bugs have been corrected recently, a beta version is available but I'm still waiting for feedback by users before releasing it "officially", see there : viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18102&start=135#p177924

2/Flight analysis:
If flight safety matters for you, you might want to take a look at my flight analysis sotftware: VerifLocal
1/planning: Using you CoTaCo since a long time. Thanks for this nice tool! But I haven't seen, that you also now support .cup files! Merci!
2/Flight analysis: using it already!

Thanks for all the great tools which you provide!

jcomm

Post by jcomm » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:35 pm

bobmorane wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:32 pm

It was a bit of a pain to set the baud rate of the BT module, but I got it working and was able to replay a saved IGC file from SeeYou Windows, as well as to connect to Condor.

Could you share what baud rate worked for you?

Thx!
José Oliveira
Hey you Chicks flying bricks....
Come Fly Gliders ! Be Outsiders!

bobmorane

Post by bobmorane » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:41 pm

It's been a long time, here are the notes I had captured if it can help you:

• Purchased HM19 on Amazon
• Look for "HM-18 HM-19_en-V1.pdf"
• Closed VSPE
• Connected HM19 to CP210x USB to serial module (same wiring as HC05)
• DO NOT connect BT device to module over bluetooth (to be able to configure the HM19)
• With YAT serial terminal, opened COM 6 (address of CP210x in Device Manager) at 9600 (default when purchased)
• AT+BAUD?
○ To enquire (returns 3 for 9600)
• AT+BAUD4
○ To set to 19200
• AT+NAME?
• AT+NAMEHM19
○ To rename to HM19
• Now with VSPE works from Condor and SeeYou Windows sending to Com1

jcomm

Post by jcomm » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:07 am

Thank you !!! @bobomorane