HP Reverb G2

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

roeoender

HP Reverb G2

Post by roeoender » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Has anyone received (especially in Europe) HP Reverb G2 and was able to use it in Condor?

Because of good display quality G2 is already praised by sim community and also will be the first officially supported VR for Flight Simulator 2020.
So it would be great if it would also work without much hassle with Condor.

Sadly there seem to be problems with fulfilling pre-orders by HP and even communicating delivery dates Reddit thread.
I preordered mine in october but I doubt I'll get them in November. :(
So if you were able to use it in Condor please state your impressions and also mention your hardware specs (GPU/CPU + motherboard), FPS and date and country/seller from which you get them.

sisu1a

Re: HP Reverb G2

Post by sisu1a » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:34 pm

Unfortunately Condor only support the Oculus SDK. This makes high res hmd like Reverb or Index go to waste. You have to use reVive (an old version of it) and for some inexplicable reason a few patches ago support for MSAA was broken so now that also needs to be disabled in game or the screen will be black.

Even with a good headset (I have an Index/2080) the image looks pretty bad with heavy shimmering and jaggies you can't do anything about.. it used to look a lot better when you could set MSAA at 16x. For Reverb you would need to be simultaneously running WMR, SteamVR, and reVive and if you want to adjust supersamling you also need to be running Oculus Tray Tool.

Until the devs switch from Oculus increasingly limiting proprietary SDK to something universal like OpenXR the only headsets that work well with Condor will be the old CV1 or RiftS. Everything else requires varying layers of other programs as well as running with compromised gfx settings that in the end kill performance and squander visuals.

Guy757

Post by Guy757 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:23 pm

It's a shame WMR (or rather non Oculus in general) headsets aren't natively supported in C2. I've just gone from Rift S to Reverb G2 and the extra clarity makes flight sims in VR (I struggle to go back to pancake mode) so much easier. While I have managed to get C2 running with the G2 it was orders of magnitude more painful than with the Rift S so for Condor 2 I'll probably stick with that for now.

C2 is the *only* sim I've flown since buying it in September, 99.9% in VR. While I'm only one user and I suspect VR users in general are very much the minority, for the time being (I hope I'm wrong) I can see myself using C2 less. Which is a shame as on its own, it's great fun but in multi player, it's off the scale!

I hope soon non Oculus support is at least on the dev road map. It seems Oculus are moving away from PC VR and if that is the case to have an excellent sim like Condor 2 not looking beyond Oculus VR would be a shame.

I'll step down from my soap box now. Thanks for listening and happy soaring :)

roeoender

Post by roeoender » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:05 am

sisu1a wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:34 pm
Unfortunately Condor only support the Oculus SDK. This makes high res hmd like Reverb or Index go to waste. You have to use reVive (an old version of it) and for some inexplicable reason a few patches ago support for MSAA was broken so now that also needs to be disabled in game or the screen will be black.

Even with a good headset (I have an Index/2080) the image looks pretty bad with heavy shimmering and jaggies you can't do anything about.. it used to look a lot better when you could set MSAA at 16x. For Reverb you would need to be simultaneously running WMR, SteamVR, and reVive and if you want to adjust supersamling you also need to be running Oculus Tray Tool.

Until the devs switch from Oculus increasingly limiting proprietary SDK to something universal like OpenXR the only headsets that work well with Condor will be the old CV1 or RiftS. Everything else requires varying layers of other programs as well as running with compromised gfx settings that in the end kill performance and squander visuals.
After reading your post and still waiting for G2 I was really afraid I did wrong with buying HP Reverb G2.

TL;DR It is amazing!

On 10th dec my G2 arrived, since then I had plenty of time for flying in VR and now I can say I am *very* satisfied with VR in Condor 2 on G2.
As you said it seems that Revive/Condor 2 won't allow use of MSAA which at default steam VR resolution
I had - 50% (which is actually 100% of native screen resolution, that is 2160x2160 per eye) made aliasing really annoying and whole view blurry.
Strangely aliasing is mostly visible on tug plane/other sailplanes, airfield ground markers and airfield buildings - not so much on glider cockpit / human body, trees, mountains and city buildings - as if those 3d objects have different aliasing attributes.

But after increasing SteamVR resolution to 100% (which is a whopping 3184 x 3096 per eye!) aliasing is barely noticable and Condor 2 on my hardware (Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon rt5700xt) is still able to fly mostly at 90fps! The high resolution really makes all the difference - no problem with reading all the instruments without any leaning and to spot other gliders from distance.
Anti-aliasing still would make it even better as distant/small/thin objects still tend to give some pixel flickering.
In comparison TAA in MSFS2020 does amazing job esp. for low res images.
As side note I am able to run MSFS2020 VR at 2160x2160 per eye but it feels realy low res in comparison to Condor.
MSFS2020 really does some amazing magic so that even low 30fps feels ok in VR.

For running Condor 2 I made a simple shortcut to revive injector with condor.exe as argument and this is the only thing I have to run in order to fly single-player in Condor VR, so Oculus/Revive/SteamVR is only one time burden during installation (but of course switching to OpenXR would be great and less bug-prone).
For multiplayer I will soon try solution from viewtopic.php?f=43&t=19133

The only downside of G2 is low (or rather standard for VR) FOV - at first flights I felt like flying in black scuba mask :)
But after some flying brain filters this black border out and you don't see it that much.
Good side of not great FOV is better picture clarity on the edges and lower risk of nousea.

To MODS: can you please merge this topic to viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20328 ?

hkj

Post by hkj » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:34 pm

Can you guys help me get Condor up and running with my G2?

I'd like a step by step guide if possible.
Thanks in advance.

Genchik

Post by Genchik » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:35 pm