XCSoar on Kobo by USB Connection

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Allen

XCSoar on Kobo by USB Connection

Post by Allen » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:01 pm

Anyone who can help please,

Is there a way to connect a KOBO running XCSOAR to Condor using the USB connection on the KOBO?
There is a lot of information about connecting via WiFi (and BlueTooth - the KOBO does not have BT), but I cannot find anything about the settings required for a direct USB connection.
How can the COM port for NMEA output be re-directed to a specific USB port, and what USB port and baud rate should be selected on the KOBO?
Any help gratefully received, and thanks in advance!

Allen

eRock

Re: XCSoar on Kobo by USB Connection

Post by eRock » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi
KOBO::
I have a Kobo Glo HD with XCSoar that works with external GPS device Bluefly (need to enable OTG in XCSoar) so as Condor (select Condor as input in XCSoar device) with USB OTG? cable.
PC & Condor::
I have a USB <> Serial adapter and that shows as a COM port on Win10 and select COM port accordingly in Condor as NMEA output.

Just rechecked my setup ::
KOBO XCSoar - USBOTG - (USB<>Serial adaptor) - Null Modem cable - (USB<>Serial adaptor) - (PC+Condor)
KOBO select Condor Soaring Sim as device on ttyUSB0 with baud rate 4800.

Hope this help.

Allen

Post by Allen » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:44 pm

Hi eRock,

I think I follow - so it requires TWO USB - Serial cable adaptors, and a null modem connection connection to connect the two serial interfaces together?

Is there no way of using just a USB - USB cable, and re-directing the COM port selected in Condor to a USB port?

Thanks for your help,
Allen

eRock

Post by eRock » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:23 pm

HI Allen
" - so it requires TWO USB - Serial cable adaptors, and a null modem connection connection to connect the two serial interfaces together?" Yes..

"Is there no way of using just a USB - USB cable, and re-directing the COM port selected in Condor to a USB port?" Beyond my knowledge.. others??

Allen

Post by Allen » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi again eRock,

Just another question that you may be able help me with -
I have the two USB - Serial cables and the null modem connection, the one plugged into the PC works fine, shows data flow when Condor is running (there's a flashing LED built into the cable), but how do you power the Serial - USB part - there is no power from the USB socket on the Kobo when using a USB 'OTG' cable to connect to the USB end of the serial - USB cable.

Many thanks,

Allen

Allen

Post by Allen » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:21 pm

Hi eRock,

I have managed to get it to work by using two USB - RS232 TTL converters, wiring them TX - RX and RX -TX, with the 5V from the computer USB converter module feeding the 5V to the module connected to the KOBO with the USB OTG adaptor.

I suspect that if the RS232 TTL from the computer converter was wired to the KOBO's internal TTL interface that is normally used for the BlueFly GPS/Vario, and the 'ttymxc0' interface selected, I could do without the second RS232 TTL converter.

Just need more time to experiment!

Best wishes,

Allen

eRock

Post by eRock » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:34 pm

Hi Allen

Sorry for not checking this thread, I was playing with Arduino and also learning the serial decoding function of DSO.
Glad you found solution to power KOBO USB port, I just using an external power bank as I also needed with Blueflyvario via USB.

You can use KOBO internal TTL port, check KOBO/XCSoar or in Blueflyvario/KOBO has photo to show which TTL port proven to work. I only have one KOBO and use it for reading also hence won't drill on it yet. P.S. KOBO is too small for my ageing eyes while running Condor in a dark room, I used a 10" colour tablet for that.

best wishes to your experiment!