NMEA ouput through physical PC serial port

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

mbamberg

NMEA ouput through physical PC serial port

Post by mbamberg » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:27 pm

All,

I have been working on the OpenVario image update; not really part of this forum. I'm using the output from Condor to test various features in the update, but I'm encountering a problem that may be related to Condor.

I have tried with both a USB-Serial adapter and a hardware RS232 port, hardwired to the PC motherboard. I get the same result with either one.

I set Condor to output to one of the two ports: COM1 is the hardwired port and COM3 is the port created when the USB adapter is installed. The port settings are set in Windows Device manager to 9600 Baud (or some other value), and XCSoar on the Open Vario is set to match both input port and baud rate. Condor settings/NMEA is set to the COM being tested.

Connect the OV, power on, and start Condor, begin a flight: No data!
Go to settings in XCSoar and set baud to 4800, reconnect and Voila! data. No matter which port is used or what the values were prior to starting Condor.
Exit XCSoar, Condor, then check Device Manager and (?puzzle?), PC COM ports are still set to the values established prior to starting Condor.

So, my question is: Does Condor alter the COM port values on starting and exiting (as that is what appears to happen) or is there something else that may be affecting the port values. I would like to be using a faster baud rate to do some of the testing, but have encountered this situation.

Developers, Is there a fixed baud rate programmed into Condor? Is there a setting somewhere that I can adjust the rate?

For the moment I can live with the 4800 as it appears to be fast enough. Any help or insights would be appreciated.

Mike B.