Microsoft FFB1 with Windows 10

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

paradad

Microsoft FFB1 with Windows 10

Post by paradad » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:28 pm

Hi all,
I've seen many posts extolling the virtues of the Microsoft FFB2 joystick. Unfortunately they're selling around the £100 mark on Ebay which is a huge price for such an old piece of kit.
Is the old FFB1 joystick useable and if so - could anyone point me to some info on how well it works and how to set it up?
S

congo

Re: Microsoft FFB1 with Windows 10

Post by congo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:25 am

The old one used a gameport interface, not usb.

You would need a gameport connector on your PC.

Gameports disappeared off of PC motherboards a decade or more ago, however,
some third party soundcards continued to have them present.

You would need a third party soundcard with gameport and drivers that support the
gameport on Windows 10, if such a thing exists.

I might like to add that gameports have given me trouble in the past when conflicts occur
when using them, I am glad to see the end of that technology.

There were, supposedly, gameport -> USB adapters, and they were advertised widely, but
I never had one, nor did I hear of anyone getting it to work properly.

I had an old version for years, but eventually retired it about the time the MSFFB2 was EOL.
I went to buy the MSFFB2, it was $60au at the time, and I thought it was too much,
so I didn't get one then. I ended up buying a second hand MSFFB2 for about $120au
second hand a few years back, but two micro-switches died within a year, so I retired
that one as well, and recently gave it away, preferring more buttons available on a
non-FFB Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

paradad

Post by paradad » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:36 pm

My PC won't accept a game card (small footprint office build) and the only adaptor I've seen is rockfire, and no longer available on amazon - or over £40 on other sites - and no guarantee of course that it will do what's needed.
So FFB1 is not looking promising! Shame.

Cheers though, good info.

Fatso

Post by Fatso » Fri May 22, 2020 9:57 pm

hi,
game port is very easy to convert to usb.
look at youtube.
cheers.
Paul.

Stef3m

Post by Stef3m » Sat May 23, 2020 11:20 pm

paradad wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:28 pm
Hi all,
I've seen many posts extolling the virtues of the Microsoft FFB2 joystick. Unfortunately they're selling around the £100 mark on Ebay which is a huge price for such an old piece of kit.
Is the old FFB1 joystick useable and if so - could anyone point me to some info on how well it works and how to set it up?
S
Wow, maybe I should sell mine! I bought the 1 at something like 5€ and the FFB2 at like 30€ few years ago, the two is certainly better but I never tried other FFB joystick other than those two so I can't compare them to the newer one on the market.
A simple gameport to USB converter would work, if you want I can tell you the name of the one I use

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Sun May 24, 2020 2:39 pm

You can find a good Microsoft Sidewinder FFII at 50€ in this place:

https://www.escuadron69.net/foro/index. ... o-variado/

This is a spanish combat flight simmers forum. This guy, nicknamed inigohe, has sent me a couple of FFII , the second bought at 50€, shipping fee not included.
The joy is in good condition, you can trust.

Bye