Condor2 on Mac with directX 11

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

boblepepeur

Condor2 on Mac with directX 11

Post by boblepepeur » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:27 am

Hello, I just installed condor on my mac with https://www.parallels.com, it works like a charm.
No need to have a bootcamp
If somebody can try and confirm that works for community.
Thanks

OXO
Condor Team

Re: Condor2 on Mac with directX 11

Post by OXO » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:48 pm

We are very interested in having this tried out..
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

michisbrt

Post by michisbrt » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:59 am

I tried running Condor V1 under the new Parallels, which worked like a charm. Fan RPM stayed relatively low.
I tried running Condor V2 under Bootcamp, which also worked like a charm. Fan RPM did spin up a lot.

I'd be more than happy to run Condor V2 under Parallels, to see if it works.
It's a bit of work (deleting Bootcamp, reinstalling Parallels, reinstalling Condor, etc.)

What hardware are you running on? I am running on:

MacBook Pro 13,3", 2017, w/o TouchBar, 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports
2,3 GHz Dual Core i5
8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

Windows 10 in Bootcamp
macOS Catalina

I'll try it out and let you know. Might be a while, but during Corona, I have a bit more time! :-)

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:10 am

Thank you for the feedback. Sounds like a great solution.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

3mendo

Post by 3mendo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:53 am

Hello,
is it possible tu run Condor V2 also with VmWare Fusion? Condor V1 is running great but I don't know if also V2 will run on it.
I have a licence for VmWare Fusion and I would like to avoid to buy also Parallels.
Thanks

michisbrt

Post by michisbrt » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Alright! I gave it a go! I can actually get some descent frame rates with medium settings on my MacBook under Parallels.

If I set the resolution to 1440x900 and everything else very low, I will get about 55-60 FPS. If I increase the settings to medium, I will get about 40-45. It's not great, it has the occasional stutter, but overall very playable. In comparison: Condor 1 will give me 60-90 FPS with the same settings, but with the same stutters.

I get those same stutters on Windows in Parallels in general, so I don't think Condor is causing them.

What will be interesting, is how the frame rates will be with other sceneries.

michisbrt

Post by michisbrt » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:43 am

Update: I played around with my system a little bit more yesterday. I tweaked Windows a little bit, turned off a lot of the system graphic effects, the stuff we used to do, when we were 16 and wanted to not buy new hardware... But easy stuff, no digging around in the registry etc.

I managed to get it up to 50-60 FPS in Slovenia 2, with the stutters greatly reduced.

So I guess, you can run Condor 2 under macOS Catalina with Parallels 15.

LelandMont

Post by LelandMont » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:54 pm

Michisbrt -
I'm trying to install Condor 2 on a 2014-era Macbook and could use some guidance.
Which parallels version are you using? ( v15 promises great results from their complete re-work of graphics handling).
Are you using Windows 10?
Catalina 10.1+
Carving out space on my hard drive is my current issue but hope to be up and running soon. Thanks for any thoughts.

michisbrt

Post by michisbrt » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:26 pm

As written above, here's my setup:

MacBook Pro 13,3", 2017, w/o TouchBar, 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports
2,3 GHz Dual Core i5
8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

macOS Catalina
Parallels 15
Windows 10

alexlee

Post by alexlee » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:55 pm

I have Condor running very well on my new Macbook Pro 2019 with 4 USB-C ports. I have all the settings on max except:

visible distance is on high instead very high
trees are on high instead very high
and also i switched canopy reflexions off but just because I see a disadvantage in multiplayer when turned on if others don't.

I got it nearly perfectly running with bootcamp. Probably with parallels you will allways come a little bit more short in performance because you have basicly two Systems running in one time.

The only thing whats confusing me is that Condor only Shows me 128MB of Vram. But I had this with Condor 1 on my older macbook too.
The buttom line is that it works very well but to get the maximum out your mashine you can't get around to get you a eGPU if you like to play high end resolution.

But over all I think that it's still a good deal without the eGPU.

michisbrt

Post by michisbrt » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:22 pm

After a few weeks of running Condor in Parallels, I have moved back to Bootcamp. With some tweaks, I got it running significantly better after all. For anyone, who hasn't stumbled upon it under Bootcamp: per default the Intel Iris Graphics is set to run in "balanced mode". It got a lot faster, when I turned it to "Maximum Power". I also turned on V-Sync. That really made the frame rates more stable.

Before this I tried speeding up Condor with an e-GPU under Parallels. Long story short: it didn't really speed it up at all. Parallels doesn't make use of the e-GPU nearly as much as expected.

Looks like bootcamp is the better way to go, after all.

rintgroen

Post by rintgroen » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:46 pm

I started with condor a few days ago. I have it running on my iMac with Parallels. It seems to work well, although I have no reference of other setups. Having said that, I am currently using my keyboard to control the glider. I probably won't have to explain how terrible this is. Thus, I am keen to buy the right hardware. However I was wondering whether the beloved MSFFII will work with my Mac and Parallels?

@boblepepeur @michisbrt What was your hardware setup while running Condor in Parallels?

BillPennock

Post by BillPennock » Sat May 29, 2021 10:23 pm

I just loaded it today on Parallels 16 and it runs very well. I have not tweaked with anything other than to change the parallels configure for: setting to games. I'll set it back to development when I'm not running condor probably. So I'm on a Macbook pro 15 2019 , Catalina 10.15.7. 64gb ram

Now with nothing but Type C ports to work with I need to find a joystick and pedals that will work. Anyone have ideas? It's tough flying with keyboard and mouse although I found that setting the mouse movement to being my stick made it MUCH easier. Rudders are still hard to match up though using z and x key. The c "center rudders" key helps a ton. I tried looking around using the mouse by holding the left side (magic mouse) which initiates head movement but I got all out of sorts on the controls while I was looking for the runway. Getting the view back to out the front was super challenging and by the time I did I barely had time to get out of the spiral dive but I managed to land it.

One of the real problems without rudder peddles for me is managing the spoilers near touchdown. The DuoDiscus just floats and floats and floats....

BillPennock

Post by BillPennock » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:49 pm

More on my setup. I got a Thrustmaster Joystick and pedals and they hooked up pretty well. I didn't need special drivers for the joystick but did for the peddles. I tried to fly from Estrella Arizona to Buckeye Municipal and found that using the Blanik the controls were way too slow to react. To get into a thermal took near full aileron and wait for it to respond. It was not thrilling. So I hooked up an SSD drive directly to the Type C port and installed windows on that by using win2ssd to clone my parallels version of windows over to the drive as a clean install. Then i booted up off the hard drive and and got the finishing part of the setup done and then ran the bootcamp.exe setup. After that had the drivers I needed all three monitors I have worked fine. Then I installed condor and the landscape installer from Condor Club and the estrella landscape. This works MUCH better and because it's a completely separate drive it's pretty easy to boot into one or the other. Next step is to find a VR that is no owned by facebook.

jwhat_photo

Post by jwhat_photo » Mon May 23, 2022 4:50 am

I can't get it to download on my 2018 macbook pro. I have tried with both parallels and boot camp and neither one will allow it to download. Any advice?