Recommended specs for 3 monitor setup (maybe VR in the future)

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

jua

Recommended specs for 3 monitor setup (maybe VR in the future)

Post by jua » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:29 pm

Starting my flight lessons in the summer and was thinking about getting a more powerful PC for learning with Condor. Do you have any recommendations what kind of PC I should get? I'm probably starting with 3x 24" fullhd screens and then get an Oculus Rift in the future.

I've heard Nvidia graphics cards are better for VR?

Condor specs said 8000 points in PassMark GPU would be the best. GTX 1650 is at 7948p. Would that + some kind of Ryzen CPU with 16GB ram be OK?

Wondering also how the requirements for the new MS Flight Simulator are. And also if it's any good for soaring or only motor planes...

thanks for any ideas!

Paul_UK

Re: Recommended specs for 3 monitor setup (maybe VR in the future)

Post by Paul_UK » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:17 pm

Three 24" monitors is going to be a resolution of 5760x1080, that's quite high res for your current GPU if you want to turn up the antialiasing and detail levels in Condor 2. Is an extra wide panoramic monitor not good enough as an interim prior to VR? That's what I'd do in your situation. Something with 3440x1440 resolution. Your card might just hack it at that resolution depending on your other specs.

As for the new microsoft flight sim. For the past several versions of flight sim you needed pretty much the highest spec PC available on its release date to have it run smoothly with all the eye candy. Will the leopard change its spots? who knows. Personally I'd be building myself a beast of a system for it! 2080ti anyone? :mrgreen:
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:13 pm

I have built a 3 screen sim and a VR sim, both using a GTX1060 graphics card. If all you want to run as a sim is Condor 2, then the equivalent card will happily drive both scenarios well, If you are thinking of a different flight sim, check out the recommeded specs. My PC has a Ryzen 5 1600x processor and 8Gb RAM and it eats Condor!

jua

Post by jua » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:10 pm

Haven't bought anything yet, so if GTX1060 isn't enough I'll have to get something better :) I already have those 3x24" monitors so wouldn't need to get anything new before Oculus...

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:54 am

jua wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:10 pm
Haven't bought anything yet, so if GTX1060 isn't enough I'll have to get something better :) I already have those 3x24" monitors so wouldn't need to get anything new before Oculus...
Perfectly understandable to use the three monitors then. Try Condor with your 1060 and see what happens. A lot depends on what graphic settings you're happy to settle with. I'll still stick with the new flight sim is going to be your main problem and Condor 2 won't be anywhere near as heavy on PC resources than it will be.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....