VKB T-Rudder configuration

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

John010

VKB T-Rudder configuration

Post by John010 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:27 pm

Hi,

Just got some VKB T-Rudder pedals, mk IV.

https://flightsimcontrols.com/product/v ... s-mk-iv-2/

Can anyone recommend the best setup in terms of centring force. Which cam and spring strength to use for most realistic setup?
Ive never flown IRL and i find myself accidentally resting off centre. So the temptation is to make the centralising force high. But i don't want to learn bad habits.

Thanks

sisu1a

Re: VKB T-Rudder configuration

Post by sisu1a » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:31 am

Depends on what you're flying really. Modern/slippery ships have very light rudder forces but trainers like Blanik are heavy and have a barn door back there so generate much higher forces, so depending on what you fly more would determine what springs to use. As to cams, definitely use the one with no center detente, real gliders/planes do not have a solid center stop and a cam is a very good way to replicate that.

Good choice on your pedals, they are by far the best off-shelf solution for simulating soaring (or heli flying). I made my own out of old airplane parts and they work quite well but diy solutions seem to be a lot less accessible for most folk so it's great companies like VKB have offerings like the T-rudder

John010

Post by John010 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:42 pm

Thanks for the advice.
So they have light forces but if you lift both your feet does the rudder self centre? My guess is yes as that's what a vertical stabiliser is for?

My local club has ASK21's, K-13's and K8's. So in Condor il be spending most of my time in a ASK21 i think.

So sound like il stick with the out of the box light setup and figure out a way to check im centred?

wickid

Post by wickid » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:04 pm

John010 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:42 pm
Thanks for the advice.
So they have light forces but if you lift both your feet does the rudder self centre? My guess is yes as that's what a vertical stabiliser is for?

My local club has ASK21's, K-13's and K8's. So in Condor il be spending most of my time in a ASK21 i think.
Rudder self centres under airloads but there is no "notch" or "detent". On the ASK13 and the K8 there are springs that keep the ruddercables tight which sort of self center the rudder on the ground as well, but these are usually too weak in any kind of wind.
PH-1504, KOE

John010

Post by John010 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:37 pm

Thanks guys. So its the lack of force feedback that limits the realism in terms of self centring at speed.
Therefore i think its out of the box configuration is ok at low speeds.

But im still flying around with a little rudder on by mistake. :shock:

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:45 pm

Step on the head of the snake :p

John010

Post by John010 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:17 pm

Ive swapped to the constant arc side of the cam and set the spring to high.

As per this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XyRHZKqsMc

I much prefer it. The force increase is liner and the higher force makes feeling the centre easier.
So the out of the box configuration aint best IMO