How To connect XCSoar to Condor via Wifi

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Kandiru

Re: How To connect XCSoar to Condor via Wifi

Post by Kandiru » Tue May 12, 2020 3:56 pm

Geoff L wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:37 pm
Possible useful note for Troubleshooting a Virtual Serial Port connection problem.

Using a spare Ram mount on the PC desk, I’ve just fixed up my Sumsung Galaxy J5 and followed the excellent clear instructions in Condor Manual Appendix 5 for using XC Soar on the phone. It worked a treat, thanks Condor. But when I tried again 3 days later, the HW VSP gave continual error messages. After clicking the ‘Create COM’ button, the VSP status got to ‘Created’, but the LAN Status went through “Connecting…” to “Error”.

To cut a long story short, the IP address of my phone had changed. The final number when working was 37, but now it was 36. Apparently the IP of your phone doesn’t remain fixed, so if you get an Error on the LAN Status, try checking if your phone’s IP address has changed. Changing 192.168.1.37 to 192.168.1.36 cured the problem.
DHCP can be cruel, if you have a decent router management interface you can assign your phone a static address, we had to do this with our network printer as the household was going crazy (3 needy teenagers and wife).

I-FOXY

Post by I-FOXY » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:28 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm back on this old item.

I try to connect my Condor 2 on Win 10 with XcSoar on Galaxy S9 via bluethoot.

The connection seems establish, but as soon it starts XCSoar display "Connected, error" even if Condor 2 is not runnig.

Any idea?

Thanks

Geoff L

Post by Geoff L » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:02 pm

Hi I-FOXY,
Maybe try a different approach for connecting XCS to Condor, a virtual serial port. There's an alternative to the HW VSP that's been found to be a bit more reliable than the HW, and it's the VSPE.

There's a full step-by-step guide on how to install it on the Devon & Somerset Gliding Club's VR pages, here: https://sites.google.com/view/dsgcvr/vspe. In fact, it's one of a series of pages on how to get a fully-functioning version of XC Soar operative inside an Oculus VR headset as a 'virtual kneeboard' - highly recommended. But this VSP will work whether you want to link Condor to XC Soar using your Galaxy or in an Oculus headset.

Hope this helps,
Geoff L.
Geoff L

I-FOXY

Post by I-FOXY » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:53 am

Thanks Geoff.

I try VSPE (there is also a tutorial in YouTube) but a different error: XCsoar device says "No data".

The PC and mobile seem correctly linked but the Condor 2 seems not sending data.

Let' see.

Thanks again.

Lorenzo.

wickid

Post by wickid » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:51 am

Under Config - devices. Did you switch to Condor instead of build in GPS sensors
PH-1504, KOE

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:13 am

Geoff L wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:02 pm
Hi I-FOXY,
Maybe try a different approach for connecting XCS to Condor, a virtual serial port. There's an alternative to the HW VSP that's been found to be a bit more reliable than the HW, and it's the VSPE.
FYI, Appendix 5 of the manual (available in English, French and German) describes how to connect XCSoar to Condor using HW VSP3

https://www.condorsoaring.com/user-manuals/

Normally this is quite straightforward.

I suspect some firewall issues, make sure that your virtual port application (VSPE or HW VSP3) is not blocked.
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Geoff L

Post by Geoff L » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:09 am

Hi Lorenzo,
I should have said, the slight disadvantage of using the VSP method for connecting Condor to XC Soar on an external device (I have used a Samsung Galaxy J5 before I got a VR headset)...when compared to Bluetooth...is that you do of course need a cable/the charging lead from the smartphone/tablet to a USB socket on the PC.
But you doubtless knew that.
Geoff L

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:22 am

Geoff L wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:09 am
Hi Lorenzo,
I should have said, the slight disadvantage of using the VSP method for connecting Condor to XC Soar on an external device (I have used a Samsung Galaxy J5 before I got a VR headset)...when compared to Bluetooth...is that you do of course need a cable/the charging lead from the smartphone/tablet to a USB socket on the PC.
But you doubtless knew that.
WiFi works fine too
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Filgueiras

Post by Filgueiras » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:04 pm

Rene Queiroz wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:22 am
I can't believe how easy the BlueTooth option was. Simply set up BT on the PC to have as serial port ("More Bluetooth Options --> Com Port --> Add"), pair the PC with the TABLET Samsung T561 9,5" in my case (from the tablet settings) and then set up XCSoar to point at the paired PC as the "Port" and "Condor Soaring Simulator" as the driver.

https://youtu.be/rsHamnIgbmQ
Rene is right. Bluetooth is easy and reliable. Even if used via a dongle, as I do

I-FOXY

Post by I-FOXY » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:00 am

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the support.

The solution was in front of my nose: I turn off the PDA in fly plan setup and that was the reason because I had no data stream in XCsoar.

Now I enable PDA and it works perfectly with the Bluetooth connection.

Honestly I suppose that the NMEA output was continuous, independent from PDA enabling.

Thanks again and all the best.

Lorenzo.

JAYT

Post by JAYT » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:06 pm

Location for HW Serial Port download is now http://new.hwg.cz/software/hw-vsp3-virtual-serial-port

Numberjack

Post by Numberjack » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:50 am

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

Maybe it's obvious to the more experienced pilots here, but it took me a while to learn that Condor sends data to XCSoar only in flight mode.
XCSoar always showed me a connection error while Condor was on setup screen.

Manx

Post by Manx » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:42 pm

Hi, thank you for your clear instructions, it helped me solve a problem I had connecting. The 1st time I set it up all worked great, but the subsequent attempts all failed to connect. It was when I read your instructions that they prompted me to check the IP address of my Android device, I discovered its IP address had changed from the initial setup in HW VSP3, once I entered the new IP address it connected straight away. :D

mxhf

Post by mxhf » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:25 am

WOW, I wish I had scrolled to the bottom of the comments right away.

I tried and succeeded in both, but bluetooth was much easier! Requires no thrid-party software.

Max