4K display issues and (some) solutions

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

janjansen

4K display issues and (some) solutions

Post by janjansen » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:03 am

I recently bought a 4K tv for my simpit, and encountered a few issues.

First of all, my radeon GPU for some reason defaults to 24Hz, and makes it really hard to change this. There is no refresh rate option in the regular control panels of either AMD or windows

To solve it, I went in to advanced monitor settings, poperties of my TV, list all modes:

There I could select 60Hz, although this only worked after I disabled "HDMI UHD Color" on my TV and tried another HDMI cable.

This problem reappeared when I set condor in Full Screen mode. It again defaulted to 24Hz (and thus 24FPS) and because condor has no options for refesh rate, there is no way to solve this in full screen mode. Fortunately, Full Screen emulation retains the 60 Hz refresh rate.

The next problem was DPI scaling. Windows defaults to 300% which is not unreasonable for a 4K monitor. Ive read many people say this causes problems in the GUI, with some buttons being unreachable, but I have not encountered those problems yet (at 200% Im using now).

However, DPI scaling affects condor resolution in Full Screen Emulation. It looks terrible, its as if the game is rendered at half the resolution and then upscaled. It looks even worse than in 1080p. I did not want to turn off DPI scaling because then the GUI becomes tiny at 4K

I solved this by right clicking the condor icon, selecting Compatibility, Change high DPI settings and checking the bottom "high DPI scaling" and setting it to "system (enhanced)".

I have no idea what this does, but the menus remain scaled up and nicely readable, but the game is rendered at native resolution and sharp again in full screen emulation.

Lastly, a relatively minor issue; in flight school, the text of the lesson is pretty small even on my 50" TV. I dread to think what it looks like on a 4K laptop display. It would be nice if we could scale the font or if they scaled automatically.

Side note: condor in 4K on a 50" TV looks glorious and had surprisingly little effect on framerates. With my RX470, I can run 4K resolution with everything at maximum settings, with MSAA at 2x and even when joining TchinTchin race with 30 pilots in Cascade Range, my FPS never dropped below 60 with vscync on. Vsync off shows framerates well above 100. Performance is (much) better than with my triple HD monitor setup, even though the latter has less pixels to render.