Crashes, bluescreens and points - plea to competition organisers

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

witor

Crashes, bluescreens and points - plea to competition organisers

Post by witor » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:26 am

Unfortunately people are still suffering with blue screens. The problem is not very common but unfortunately it does exist.

In the past competition organisers introduced zero points penalty for crashes which suppose to make risky flying less appealing. As far as I can see (mostly from talking to various people flying in condor competitions) introduction of ccRating has some effect and people who care about it are more careful. Unfortunately a blue screen is very costly when it comes to ccRating points. That's why I would like to suggest and ask future competition organisers to allow distance points and do not penalise crashes (and blue screens) with zero points. This will have two effects:

1) people who get a blue screen close to the finish line will be less unjustly and severely penalised.
2) It will allow ccRating to distinguish between people who crashed. If you crash further you will be ahead of people who crashed earlier.

There is a lot of people trying to make condor competitions as real as possible. Well, as far as I know in real competition even if you crash your glider (if you are still alive) you still get distance points.

h.kreso

Re: Crashes, bluescreens and points - plea to competition organisers

Post by h.kreso » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:10 am

Tnx witor,

I had issue with my VR, and Condor close before regular exit. I was finished, in second place, landed to. But don't have lasttrack file to send.
This was on Marburg cup day10. Maybe server send IGC to,

Ragards

havet865

Post by havet865 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I strongly support Witor's comment and initiative here.
This is our policy for blue screen and crashes for all FAI events.

We do not consider that people crash intentionally, hence we apply a common sense rule: if there is a crash or blue screen, the pilots involved are considered as "outlanded" at the point where the event occured. We believe that it makes sense like this.

There should not be any 0 point flight attributed to any pilot who flew the race.. unless he/she missed the start!

In real life:
- in case of outlanding: you would get at least the distance points (which is better than zero but still drops you a lot in the ranking)
- in case of crash or collision in flight: the whole class (all competitors flying this race) would get zero points, and at the moment of the crash, the race would stop and all gliders would be called back to the airfield.

If the organisers from the Condor World Cup would be keen to change this rule, I am sure that people would appreciate it.
If there is a problem to change it, you can get in touch with me and I'll make sure it is getting changed with Thierry from CC.

Have a great weekend and keep flying!
Best wishes for 2022!

Antoine Havet

sasa

Post by sasa » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:52 pm

Hi,
I see that there is talk of blue-screen here. I had a blue screen at the January 5 competition https://www.condor.club/comp/besttimes/0/?id=20511. LastTrack was written correctly until the Condor froze. I did not find any specific messages in the Condor log files other than Access violation error.

Last night my Condor didn't freeze but I forgot to send LastTrack.ftr :(. Https://www.condor.club/comp/raceresults/0/?id=20571 but that doesn't fall into this issue.