? Hosting a Competition on a separate server to the Condor 2 Installation

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

JBlyth

? Hosting a Competition on a separate server to the Condor 2 Installation

Post by JBlyth » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:48 am

Here in Western Australia, I find that most competitions are suited to times in Europe or America and that makes it very difficult for me to fly in a competition unless I inhabit the early hours of the morning. The New Zealand ones were great, but they seem to have faded out with Covid restrictions being lifted.

My laptop runs Condor 2 quite nicely, in spite of having an imbedded graphic card. I would like to try hosting a competition myself. I have an additional Microsoft Surface 7 that that I can use as a dedicated Server. Can I use that with some software like DSHelper, or do I need a second Condor Licence for the serving device.

I don't think my laptop is man enough to fly the task AND serve to other competitors, but perhaps the processor load from Serving is not a high as I think it might be. Any help would be most appreciated

Cheers
John in Sunny Carnarvon, Western Australia

Re: ? Hosting a Competition on a separate server to the Condor 2 Installation

Post by 6266 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:07 pm

You don't need a second licence for the server. I use as a server an older laptop lenovo E540, works so far. DSHelper is a very good tool, but you need Condor on the server too, because DSHelper use it
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
24 landscapes with free available textures, newest: AlpsE

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

JBlyth

Post by JBlyth » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:36 am

Thanks very much for the info. I will give it a try....

Cheers
John

JBlyth

Post by JBlyth » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:00 am

Sorry, I seemed to have missed something. I can't download the Condor 2 program without paying for it again. I tried just copying over the CondorDedicated.exe, but that said a Condor installation was required when I ran it.

Can I just copy over the required files from my paid for installation to the PC I'm going to use as a server?

Thanks
John

Post by 6266 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:10 am

Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
24 landscapes with free available textures, newest: AlpsE

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

JBlyth

Post by JBlyth » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:30 am

Thank you. I am almost up and running now!

Cheers
John

JBlyth

Post by JBlyth » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:49 am

One last question....

I can get the Server up and running but I get an error on my non-server PC .
C2Error2.png

In the Server List the scenery shows up as
C2Error1.png

I presume this means I am required to have the Scenery files for the Task on the server, which I was sort of trying to avoid owing to limited disk space.

Is my presumption correct, or have I missed something in settings?

Many thanks - John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:17 am

Your presumption is indeed correct.
However, you only need a reduced subset of the landscape files, especially not the textures and the PDA maps.
Condor Updater has an option to install only the files that are required in server mode.
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

JBlyth

Post by JBlyth » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:17 am

Thanks, Bre901,

You are a mine of information as always. Thanks for the tip.

JBlyth

Post by JBlyth » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:20 am

Ok. I'm almost up and running but need a bit more help.....

I found a YouTube video which seems to be the only "How to" that I could find. Is there any other DSHelper Help available - preferably in English or in a format I can translate with Google.

The video shows setting up a FTP server. Is it a requirement to setup an FTP server, or is that an optional extra?

Many thanks
John

wickid

Post by wickid » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:38 am

No you don't need an FTP.

If you have a computer which you can leave running 24/7 you can set up your own competition server. You only need Condor with the server installs of the landscapes and DSHelper.

Make a flightplan in Condor and save it. You can then use DSHelper to launch and run the Condor Dedicated Server at a set time and/or in a continuous loop.

If you just want a simple server on a loop, start DSHelper. Right click the flightplan box and add a flightplan. Click on the server options (sphere with the gear below it). Name it and go through all the tabs to set the settings to your requirements. Then hit the little green play button and your server will run.

If you want to schedule a task. First set up a server as I described above. Then go to the scheduler (calendar symbol). Add a new task. In the tabs at the bottom you can set up what you want DS to do at what time. For example start a server at a specific time with a specific flightplan. You can make it run the server you created above at the correct time for your competition.

If you want to run multiple servers on a single PC. Make copies of the Condor folder. Point the servers in DSHelper to the different folders where it can find the Condor Dedicated Servers. Make sure you give each one a unique port number. Also don't forget to open those ports in your router/firewall. That way you can run multiple DS instances on one PC. But do make sure your PC is up to the task. It requires bandwidth and some memory to distribute the data to the players.
PH-1504, KOE

JBlyth

Post by JBlyth » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:44 am

Thank you Wickid,

I will follow your comprehensive steps and see how I go.

Cheers
John