Cause of slow down in multiplayer

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Paul_UK

Cause of slow down in multiplayer

Post by Paul_UK » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:43 pm

Has anyone any understanding of what causes slow down when flying online with 40+ others?

Usually high pings just result in those with them flying around like they're in a UFO. Last night however on VSC Cirrus Cup task many of us experienced a freeze at a similar point in time and we do not know why. So my question is other than ping what other variables impact smoothness in multiplayer?

My PC in general runs Condor at 300+ FPS though I use V-sync so stay locked at 60FPS all the time. My own ping on said server is usually between 40 - 50. As this affected so many at the same time I'll assume it isn't my PC or internet connection.

For me the freeze happened when visually I didn't have anything in my sights to overload my PC.

For servers with high numbers of competitors is there a recommended PC spec / internet connection speed?

Cheers.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

wickid

Re: Cause of slow down in multiplayer

Post by wickid » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:46 pm

Multiplayer vs. Single player needs to load a lot more models and textures for all the different planes. Every new texture is an extra draw call that needs to be rendered. So it applies to different skins as well.
PH-1504, KOE

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:03 pm

I had a similar thought about skins. Many of us have created a skin to use and I noticed some weren't DXT1 no alpha so I converted all on my PC so that they were thus keeping file size around the 2mb mark. I appreciate that all default skins require rendering too. As I said though when I experienced the freeze I had very few others in sight of me at that point in time (got a half decent start)

Someone mentioned they had slow down yesterday but on CWC servers with similar participation levels they do not. I asked whether they'd installed any of the updated skins and they hadn't.

Hence asking about server requirements as to me it's pointing in that direction at the moment.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:18 pm

In the early part of the task there was one with a ping of 8000+. I experienced a bit stutter in early stages but seemed OK when he disconnected.

Perhaps the server could have a ping limit.
Condor CN = E20

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:28 pm

We experimented with this function this morning in DSH. The max ping function only appears to block you from joining if your ping is too high. Once on the server the only way to be removed is leave yourself or be kicked.