Crazy Helicopter on Yellowstone map online at Kinky Creek Air Strip Take Off

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Heller

Crazy Helicopter on Yellowstone map online at Kinky Creek Air Strip Take Off

Post by Heller » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:07 am

I jumped on a TeamXC server which had, I think it was a 164 km triangle task running on Yellowstone. eb29r full of water and -2 cg. After a number of try's with tow plane, runway real bumpy, could not get up, tow plane bouncing all over the place also. The take off was at Kinky Creek. I remembered the eb29r had an engine, so thought I would give that a try. Took some time trying as it is real bumpy, ended up going downwind finally getting turned around, does not seem like tail wheel steers, but digging the wing tips into the ground helps with turning.

Finally got turned into the wind. Trying to get off before the big bump around and or after the wind sock. I got off with landing flaps, and went straight up. I would go up and down depending on flap setting, at full throttle. NOT moving forwards at all, just up and down changing flap settings, but could go a little backwards! I had CoTASA running but does not show up in screenshots. Screenshot into the wind a little over 155 km with a 13 km headwind, the wind direction shown in the screenshot is not the same that CoTASA shows, it was a headwind.

I finally decided to go down wind and was able to make a circle, but still not able to go forwards any distance. I finally landed, but in all the fun forgot to lower the landing gear, soon as I landed, thought lets see if I can take off again, but no, stupid me forgot to lower the landing gear.

I wanted to save the replay, but it did not allow me to. But I did save the igc, ftr, fpl. I went to free flight and loaded up the fpl checked the ftr ghost box and try'd again. Same plane, same load. I could not get off the ground. I ended up hitting the save me button and got off the ground, started the engine to wait for the ghost to start up, it takes a long time, did not time it, until it flew. The plane I was in flew around as it should, though at times, at certain angles to the wind, even though at 150 km's no aileron authority.

After the ghost went down wind, then turned into the wind, sure enough, it lifted up and hovered, then did the circle, then landed. When I did it the engine was running, but as a ghost no engine visible.

I have attached two screenshots and the fpl. Apparently it will not allow me to add the ftr & igc. I am including a link to download them. Wish it would have allowed me to save a replay, it would have been great! I have no idea why, but when I load a ghost, it takes forever, 10-20 mins until they start moving. Perhaps i'm missing something in the settings.

https://condor.games/downloads/

Wondering if anyone else has encountered something like this. I have no idea, if it had to do with the eb29r with the engine running, or with the landscape, or combination of both. Wish I could get off the ground running the engine in free flight, to see if the same thing happens. I tried for about an hour, real pain turning the eb29r have to dig in a wing tip to get it to turn on the ground, then any bump ruins which ever direction you try to go. The Kinky Creek landing strip is real bumpy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Heller on Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bre901

Re: Crazy Helicopter on Yellowstone map online at Kinky Creek Air Strip Take Off

Post by Bre901 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:17 am

You are lucky you didn't crash the EB29R, because of its wingspan it really doesn't like bumpy runways (and crosswind TO)

Runway surface quality is an issue that should have been addressed by the landscape author :roll:
Heller wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:07 am
I have no idea why, but when I load a ghost, it takes forever, 10-20 mins until they start moving. Perhaps i'm missing something in the settings.
If the ghosts have been recorded "online" that time difference is due to the server join-time, which you do not experience when loading the ghosts in an offline session.
Last edited by Bre901 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Heller

Re: Crazy Helicopter on Yellowstone map online at Kinky Creek Air Strip Take Off

Post by Heller » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:21 am

Bre901 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:17 am
If the ghosts have been recorded "online" that time difference is due to the server join-time, which you do not experience when loading the ghosts in an offline session.
Ok cool, did not know if it was something I missed, or something else, figures it's always hurry up and wait!

wickid

Post by wickid » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:50 am

The EB29R does not have a steerable tailwheel like the DG808 has. It was not designed to taxi. It is pushed into position on the runway and you take off straight ahead.

The bumpy runway is a landscape author thing. Runways need to be flattened and need a G object to have a smooth surface.
PH-1504, KOE

MrHerisson

Post by MrHerisson » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:57 am

Don't know if it is your case but not moving forwards is something that happens on map edges