Free Flight

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

DanD

Free Flight

Post by DanD » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:15 pm

How do you prepare a Free Fly or Free Flight task?

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Free Flight

Post by EDB » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:47 pm

Good to hear you read the Manual...

NOT.
:(

They write manuals for a reason.

DanD

Post by DanD » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:36 pm

Thank you for all the help. I went through the manual, both free flight, and multiplayer, line-by-line, and found nothing. I searched the forum, with the search tool under both general, and multiplayer, and found nothing. I have 78 tasks on Condor Club, and host a club contest as well. I have tried but failed to make it work. I came here expecting some help... It's responses like yours that make me wonder why I bothered.

Can anyone who actually wants to help, please help me?

Dan
2D
(and having to convert start and finish altitudes from metric to imperial with a hand calculator when task setting also is not helping).
Last edited by DanD on Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-ROB

Post by G-ROB » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi DanD, go to the airport you want to launch from and left click three times on it. The rest is up to you regarding weather, plane class, launching and so on then just save the .fpl as you would a normal task.
ZS-GLP

DanD

Post by DanD » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Thank you!

mbamberg

Post by mbamberg » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:30 pm

DanD,

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use to convert the altitudes. Do it once and then it's much easier going forward. I have both a table of commonly used values, and a "odd number" conversion cell.

Another thing you may encounter is the need to edit some of the values that are "restricted" in the software. For instance, no turn point radius can be greater than 5000 meters. When I'm setting up an American-type Assigned Area Task I need much larger cylinders for many of my turn points.

After setting all the parameters for your flight, you can enter the flight and then immediately exit (this locks the weather to the setting/random number). Save the flight plan. It is a text format file that can be edited with a simple text editor (don't use any editor that might put hidden, extra, characters into the file). I use Notepad in Windows.

You then scroll in the editor to the value(s) you want to change, make the changes, and save the file. Go back into Condor and in the Freeflight window, load the file you just edited. All the changes will show up and you're ready to go.

Mike

DanD

Post by DanD » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:47 pm

It be easier to have a page where tasker could set her/his default start OZ/height, type of TP (FAI cyl, FAI sector, user defined), Finish OZ/height, and type of flight - Racing Task or Assigned Area Task in Metric, Imperial, or Australian units. Most of my tasks end up the same, and it takes a lot of clicking, then checking, to be sure everything is right. It would also be nice to have drop-down lists of TPs...

Dan