Request for dedicated server option: multiplayer data dump to file

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

hess8

Request for dedicated server option: multiplayer data dump to file

Post by hess8 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:49 pm

Among people trying to develop things for Condor contests or other group flying there's been talk about the possibility to sniff the dedicated server (DS) port to get direct data on participants' flights. But why should anyone need to worry about something so complex? This could be easily solved with probably an hour of coding by you guys who write the DS code. Can you simply put in an option in DS to write the positions of each player vs time (e.g each second) to a buffer and then dump periodically to a file? Or periodically update an .igc file for each player that is saved to the host computer? Then this could be easily read by other software we develop for updating group or contest results in almost real time.

Thanks!

Bret

hess8

Re: Request for dedicated server option: multiplayer data dump to file

Post by hess8 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:51 pm

Or could you make the DS code open source?

splyces

Post by splyces » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi,

afaik DS Helper does not directly interact with network traffic to Condor2 (pls hit me, when I am wrong).
How do I know? Well in theory it could have that feature, but that would require implementing a multithreaded reverse UDP proxy.
DSHelper does only frontend automation, and it works pretty well in most cases.

So open sourcing the code, may get you not very far, because there is no traffic handling inside of it.

I was starting to reverse the game protocol, but it's a hell, because I never really did that and there is no documentation available about the server protocol.

Also, you will not get real coordinates, when you sniff the traffic, because it does some geo location mapping internally on clientside to map the glider position to the geolocation, so you can use e.g. xcsoar.

hess8

Post by hess8 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Thanks splyces. You're right about DSHelper. But I'm asking for the Condor team who developed the Dedicated Server app to add data dump option to the Dedicated Server app itself. It would be a trivial amount of coding.

hess8

Post by hess8 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:14 pm

you will not get real coordinates...because it does some geo location mapping internally on clientside
I think it's not a problem to convert Condor map coordinates to real-world coordinates. I've seen at least one app that does that.