Slovenia Grand Prix 1st Aug Window start problem

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

blacksun

Slovenia Grand Prix 1st Aug Window start problem

Post by blacksun » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:30 pm

Tried to take part in the Slovenia Grand Prix 2019 1st aug flight. Not sure what I was doing wrong but I couldnt get the start to activate.
It was one of those window start types but invisible.
I've checked my flight plan and I crossed the start line at various heights, the first was about 2000m, several attemps were made most above 1950m, although also tried lower heights. I checked these heights in the condor analyse section, map with barograph.

I wasn't the only one having problems, any suggestions on what I might have done wrong would be gladly appreciated.

Bre901

Re: Slovenia Grand Prix 1st Aug Window start problem

Post by Bre901 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:47 pm

I have taken a look at one of the flights uploaded on CC : the start sectors are not windows, but "classic" 90 degrees sectors, radius=3000m, max altitude=2000m. Generally speaking, I prefer 180 degrees start sectors, but the task setter is the master

Are you sure you passed though the sector before starting ?
It shows red on PDA screen #1 until you take a valid departure, then it turns green
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

blacksun

Post by blacksun » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:00 pm

This was task 3. On the PDA and task info on CC it showed the start as a window ( I assumed a start type shown as |____| rather than a pie signifies a window type?)

https://www.condor-club.eu/comp/showtask/208/?id=12748

Not on my condor PC at the moment will upload the start turnpoint from my lasttask file later.

I crossed the start line several times in both directions and at different heights. Not sure what the default height type is in condor (AGL,etc..) but the trace has me crossing the line at the same height as the task info gives and people said in chat so I assume I was at the correct height.
Many people managed to start without issue but there were a number of us that couldn't. I'm just trying to work out what I was doing wrong so that it doesn't happen in the future. I've done these starts before without problem but they had the turnpoint helpers on so you could see where to go and at what height.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:48 pm

blacksun wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:00 pm
This was task 3.
Sorry for the confusion, I was looking a t the wrong task.
On the PDA and task info on CC it showed the start as a window ( I assumed a start type shown as |____| rather than a pie signifies a window type?)

https://www.condor-club.eu/comp/showtask/208/?id=12748

It is indeed a window start, I have taken a look at the fpl file, the start altitude is 2000m (AMSL) and the window height is 100m, which means that you have to cross the line between 1950 and 2050 m. However the rounding in the flight planner and PSA screen #1 is actually misleading, as it shows 20-21, which can be understood as 2000-2100m.
Not on my condor PC at the moment will upload the start turnpoint from my lasttask file later.

I crossed the start line several times in both directions and at different heights. Not sure what the default height type is in condor (AGL,etc..)
it is AMSL unless you changed it in the settings, but the flight plan altitudes are always AMSL
but the trace has me crossing the line at the same height as the task info gives and people said in chat so I assume I was at the correct height.
Many people managed to start without issue but there were a number of us that couldn't. I'm just trying to work out what I was doing wrong so that it doesn't happen in the future. I've done these starts before without problem but they had the turnpoint helpers on so you could see where to go and at what height.
I made repeated attempts (looking at PDA screen #1) both ways at altitudes between 1950 and 2050 m and I wasn't able to start either.

Besides that, as I said before, the task setter is the boss
... but I really don't like window-type starts (or turnpoints), especially with such a little window height, so far away from take-off, and high altitude starts (with the Libelle, you have almost 50 "free" km). I wouldn't personally take part in such a competition
Last edited by Bre901 on Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:22 pm

I should have looked further, the width is also ridiculously small = 100m !!!!
The trouble is that the flight planner and the PDA screen # 1 don't show the actual width, but a fixed one :x

Another good reason to stop using the windows in Condor tasks (or refrain from flying such tasks)
:roll: :roll: :roll: