Low & Slow V2 calendar poll

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Which of these time slots would you fly Low and Slow V2?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:33 am

Early sessions at 19:30 CEST (likely clashes with TchinTchin)
3%
Early sessions at 20:00 CEST (may clash with TchinTchin + dinner)
2%
Early sessions at 20:30 CEST
5%
Early session on Monday (clashes with EuroBattle + TBCondor)
3%
Early session on Tuesday (clashes with Sky Championship)
3%
Early session on Wednesday (clashes with Condor GP)
2%
Early session on Thursday (clashes with TCC & Across the world some time slots)
2%
Early session on Friday (clashes with Zell am see)
3%
Early session on Saturday
5%
Early session on Sunday (clashes with Condor GP +Rallye de l'Atlas )
3%
Late sessions at 21:30 CEST
5%
Late sessions at 22:00 CEST
6%
Late sessions at 22:30 CEST
8%
Late session on Monday
6%
Late session on Tuesday
8%
Late session on Wednesday
6%
Late session on Thursday
8%
Late session on Friday
5%
Late session on Saturday
6%
Late session on Sunday
13%

Total votes: 64

janjansen

Low & Slow V2 calendar poll

Post by janjansen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:33 am

Im considering a second edition of LnS, but the calendar is getting pretty crowded, so Im looking to see what time slots could work.

If I do another edition, it will be 1 or 2 tasks per week, but I will keep the same concept of relatively short, slightly harder than usual, VR friendly tasks, hosting each task twice, once in an early session, once a later session.

For the early slot, as much as I would like to host it a little earlier, if we clash with TchinTchin, then I fear we will not get a lot of pilots and there is a tchintchin every day. So only vote 19:30 if tchintchin is too early or you would actually prefer to fly LnS with <10 people, over TchinTchin with 30+ on those days.

The late time slot is primarily for our Spanish and overseas friends, who I am happy to see have become quite faithful participants and who have few, if any other options. Although you are free to fly both sessions, please only vote for late slots if you cant do the early slots.

As for days; for early slots, Saturday is the only free evening (so far) and thus pretty much a given. Every other early slot will clash with some other competition, so only vote for any of these days if you would prefer to fly LnS those days and not that other competition. While I would prefer 2 tasks, I may end up doing only 1 LnS competition task per week; but if so, I could host several, maybe even daily? late sessions that dont count for LnS, but may become a late hour alternative to TchinTchin. Im not going to make 7 tasks per week though, so these tasks would either be MNO/LnS reflies, or tasks provided by others, or tasks from other races (maybe even tchintchin tasks with airstart?) so when you submit your FTRs to condor club, you have some competition results to compare to.

UrosM

Re: Low & Slow V2 calendar poll

Post by UrosM » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:08 pm

As busy as race calendar currently is, IMHO the one LnS race per week is perfect. And as Saturday is only day completely free, I think it's obvious choice. For early session, 20:30 CET is fine for me.

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:28 am

UrosM wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:08 pm
And as Saturday is only day completely free
janjansen wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:33 am
Saturday is the only free evening

Well... There is a world outside C-C and many good contests/races you can fly during week:

http://virtualsoaring.eu/calendar

but one of the best in the business... at Saturdays, since 2009:

http://virtualsoaring.eu/contests

Rgrds!
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:26 am

I did check virtualsoaring calendar as well, afaics, Medlánky Cup ends tomorrow, and I dont see anything else upcoming on Saturdays there.
Besides, using a different competition site and CW-B scenery, as well as hosting 2-3 hour tasks, I think its different enough to appeal to different audiences.

UrosM

Post by UrosM » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:20 pm

Thanks Pit_R, will check those links. I always looking for something a little different.

P.S.
Will try some Batoh race. I always admired Milošs scenery.
Pit_R wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:28 am
UrosM wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:08 pm
And as Saturday is only day completely free
janjansen wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:33 am
Saturday is the only free evening

Well... There is a world outside C-C and many good contests/races you can fly during week:

http://virtualsoaring.eu/calendar

but one of the best in the business... at Saturdays, since 2009:

http://virtualsoaring.eu/contests

Rgrds!

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:46 am

Hmm.. not a lot of animo for races before 22:00. I guess either the RL season is beginning or people think there are enough competitions.
At this point, it doesnt seem worth it to host early sessions, and scrapping those and sticking to a single (late) session per race day would make it possible to implement some rule changes like penalizing crashes. Its a bit ironic that I wouldnt be able to fly in my own competition, but oh well.

UrosM

Post by UrosM » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:23 pm

+1
janjansen wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:46 am
Its a bit ironic that I wouldnt be able to fly ...

eMBe

Post by eMBe » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:58 pm

Despite the poll, till now early session was always attended by more people. I think it is worth to keep both sessions. However, personally I also chosed the late one :)

UrosM

Post by UrosM » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:10 pm

We can have both sessions on the same day.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:26 pm

UrosM wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:10 pm
We can have both sessions on the same day.
Sunday seems to be the most popular choice for the late session; an early session on Sunday would clash with condor gp. Besides, when doing 2 sessions, I think you might as well pick 2 different days so people who cant fly one day, can have a chance the other day.

UrosM

Post by UrosM » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:38 pm

SAT early and SUN late session?

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:41 am

UrosM wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:38 pm
SAT early and SUN late session?
Yeah, thats what I decided upon, based on the assumption many people dont read the forum and there will be more than 3 pilots showing up on Saturdays.

During the week, I will create single task events on Tuesday and Thursday at 22:30 CET. I will recycle the "midnight oil" name for those. Unless someone volunteers to provide tasks, the tasks themselves will also be recycled from past events. Im not sure yet if I will re-use previous tasks 100% identical (advantage that you can compare your times on CC) or if I tweak the parameters like time of day and wind/thermal settings a bit so its "new" for everyone and you cant just look up a FTR from the previous winner.

blacksun

Post by blacksun » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:06 pm

There is a competition running on Condor Club that has multiple flight times but seems to require a pilot to select only 1 time zone when registering.
https://www.condor-club.eu/comp/show/0/?id=342
It looks like it is using the timezone feature and might be a way for you to get close to what you originally planned for the low and slow series? Not sure it would block anyone registered for a later slot from joining at an earlier time but I presume their early flight wouldn't count. I wonder if using password protection, each flight would have a different password? If so that would also stop people flying early as they wouldn't have the password.

Anyway, anyone looking for some later flights midweek might want to check it out as there is a time slot on Thursdays at 20:15 UTC.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:36 pm

I saw that, given that I hosted the 20:15 session (zero pilots showed up btw) but the races can only be 23 hours apart, not 26.

More over, one goal of providing multiple sessions is the flexibility is gives, that people can fly when it suits them. One week that could be an early session on one day, and another week a late session on a different day. Finally given the relatively small number of pilots (especially in the beginning), I didnt mind people flying the task twice, if CC would only score the first attempt.

But thats not how it works unfortunately.

Anyway, its something I might try for next season, I think right now anything that restricts people's access and thus pilot count on the server is not helpful.