dual command instruction

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

cvvs

dual command instruction

Post by cvvs » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:02 pm

Sorry my english is translated with google translate.
I built a little simu with virtual telescope, broomstick and rudder ..
Behind the seat of the pilot I planned to put a screen, and a keyboard.
This is to make instructions for beginner pilots.
Do you know if I can connect 2 broomsticks to the same usb port, so to catch the errors of the pilot.
I do not have this second broomstick yet that's why I'm asking this question.

thank you

Paul_UK

Re: dual command instruction

Post by Paul_UK » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:33 pm

If I am correct in thinking broomstick is the control column or joystick. I think it best in a sim to link up the two control columns like in a real glider, that way you only require one input to the PC but you can control from both sticks. Would you be able to create this yourself?
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:07 pm

If the joysticks are not mechanically linked, what would you expect to happen if the student gives full forward stick, and the instructor full backward stick?

In other words, its not really possible, unless you also have some "override" function, so the instructor can push a button that deactives the student his stick, and activates his own stick. That may be possible to configure, using 2 joysticks and https://joytokey.net/

But the student his stick will not move when the instructor takes over, and I dont think he would learn much that way. He will be confused who is doing what. Better is to either mechanically link the sticks, or let the student make his mistakes (or even crash, its a simulator, you can refly!) and talk to him, tell him what to do differently.

cvvs

Post by cvvs » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:53 pm

Thank you for the answer, I will already look at joytokey.
This before buying a second round.
The idea is that the trainer follows the pilot, and by saying, I take control again, the student drops the stick, and the trainer can then reposition the machine properly to continue the flight.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:23 am

On second thought, I dont think this can be done with joy2key. But you probably can do it with joystick gremlin:
https://whitemagic.github.io/JoystickGr ... uickstart/

Using "modes" I think.

That said; Im not convinced this is actually useful for simulator training. IMO the best tool any instructor has is his voice; whatever the instructor wants the plane to do, tell the student and let him do it (or try and maybe fail but then learn from that).
If the student is completely unable to do what the instructor is asking, then maybe he should be training other things first?

In the real world, instructors need control because you can not allow students to make dangerous mistakes. But in a simulator you can, and I think you should. In the real world, an instructor may need control to safely start or end the flight, or gain altitude and make the flight last longer or avoid an outlanding. In a simulator you can do this by pressing a button or setting up the NOTAM.