Again and agian...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

BenFest

Again and agian...

Post by BenFest » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Hey guys,

almost every evening we try to beat each other on one of the multiplayer servers.
Sometimes it workes quite fine, but sometimes you need to face some problems which luckily have been uploaded by some of our Streamers.

I made a little Compilation of the best moments this year :D

https://youtu.be/R1a2SpeHfk0

Enjoy the video!
Ben

P.S. As already mentoined, it is not intended to blame any of these guys ( includng me of course :roll: )
Ben Fest
D-2701 - BF

janjansen

Re: Again and agian...

Post by janjansen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:11 pm

I enjoyed that. Misery loves company :)

I think Tim wins this round with that impossible crossing and unfortunate end though.

UrosM

Post by UrosM » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:48 pm

Funny. And at the same time, nice demonstration of flying style needed to win the race in Condor. And yes, sometimes it does not pay off.

If there were penalty points in competitions for crashing ... every crash -500 points (or something else) ... then we will be closer to the simulation than the arcade game again.

Just my 2c.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:09 pm

UrosM wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:48 pm
Funny. And at the same time, nice demonstration of flying style needed to win the race in Condor. And yes, sometimes it does not pay off.

If there were penalty points in competitions for crashing ... every crash -500 points (or something else) ... then we will be closer to the simulation than the arcade game again.

Just my 2c.
This is unsolvable in a single race event. You cant penalize more than having to quit race, ie crashing. And if Im honest, I enjoy the occasional crazy risk taking, ballistic mountain crossing whatever that I never ever would IRL.

Even in multi race events this is tricky. In almost all competitions you only count x out y races, because of real world time constraints. You could try to penalize crashes during the races they fly, but then you do risk things like people disconnecting before they crash or even just after the start to avoid getting registered as crashing, then and having to arbitrate if someone's pc really bluescreened, or they had to leave the pc for whatever real life reason, or if instead they are "hiding" a crash. Its not impossible, but its a lot of hassle and as long as the FAI doesnt hand out medals, Im not sure its worth it.

What could be solved by the developers, is the VNE starts by setting a maximum speed over the start line. And possibly giving penalty points for flutter would at least reduce the incentive to fly up to VNE speed in other parts of the task.

UrosM

Post by UrosM » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:05 pm

janjansen wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:09 pm
UrosM wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:48 pm

Just my 2c.
This is unsolvable in a single race event. You cant penalize more than having to quit race, ie crashing. And if Im honest, I enjoy the occasional crazy risk taking, ballistic mountain crossing whatever that I never ever would IRL.

Even in multi race events this is tricky. In almost all competitions you only count x out y races, because of real world time constraints. You could try to penalize crashes during the races they fly, but then you do risk things like people disconnecting before they crash or even just after the start to avoid getting registered as crashing, then and having to arbitrate if someone's pc really bluescreened, or they had to leave the pc for whatever real life reason, or if instead they are "hiding" a crash. Its not impossible, but its a lot of hassle and as long as the FAI doesnt hand out medals, Im not sure its worth it.

What could be solved by the developers, is the VNE starts by setting a maximum speed over the start line. And possibly giving penalty points for flutter would at least reduce the incentive to fly up to VNE speed in other parts of the task.
Agree with you, there's always the way around. For single task races it is obvious that's impossible. I know it's not worth all the effort, just daydreaming.

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:49 pm

janjansen wrote:

Even in multi race events this is tricky. In almost all competitions you only count x out y races, because of real world time constraints. You could try to penalize crashes during the races they fly, but then you do risk things like people disconnecting before they crash or even just after the start to avoid getting registered as crashing, then and having to arbitrate if someone's pc really bluescreened, or they had to leave the pc for whatever real life reason, or if instead they are "hiding" a crash.
This is easy. If you have a registered start on the server you have to upload. Otherwise you automatically get the crash/missing FTR penalty points. No registered start on the server and no FTR = 0 points.
janjansen wrote:
I'm 100% with you on the speed limit. This is imposed on real life events as well to stop this phenomenon. Mostly 50 points plus one penalty point per kph over the speedlimit.

But OT. Nice video Ben!! I enjoyed that. I must admit I did a Touch and Go (with gear down) on a mountain pass last Thursday on the CWC.
PH-1504, KOE

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:14 pm

wickid wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:49 pm
This is easy. If you have a registered start on the server you have to upload. Otherwise you automatically get the crash/missing FTR penalty points.
Its never easy. What do you do when someone collides with you, possibly due to lag/warping and you crash in to mountain due to no fault of your own? What do you do with a case like in Bens video, where GBO gets windows popups and therefore loses control and crashes? Does he deserve not only to lose that race, but on top of that be penalized in the competition and probably stand no more chance to win ? What if someone's computer crashes. etc etc etc. You'd pretty much have to require participants live stream their race and have a jury that decides every case. Doable? perhaps, but not exactly easy.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:00 pm

It's the responsibility of the pilot to have his setup/hardware functioning flawless.
If it isn't functioning flawless in real life... you might die...

BenFest

Post by BenFest » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:52 pm

We have a second version of our Condor2 Fun Compilation! Have fun :)

https://youtu.be/kmt0viM6z14
Ben Fest
D-2701 - BF

tiberius

Post by tiberius » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Great video Ben.

Particularly like Tim’s rolling finish... didn’t know that was even possible... even more energy available now! 😉

UrosM

Post by UrosM » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:52 pm

tiberius wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:24 pm
Great video Ben.

Particularly like Tim’s rolling finish... didn’t know that was even possible... even more energy available now! 😉
On next task I'll get a train :D