DedicatedServer for Linux

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

astir

DedicatedServer for Linux

Post by astir » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi,

would be nice to have version for Linux so that there would be no need to play with wine. Do you have any plans for that?

In the mean time, I would appreciate, if someone could tell how to get it work under wine. Everything seems to work nice on GUI, but it wont open port for listening at all when started.

I'm at running Debian 9, wine-1.8.7 (Debian 1.8.7-2)

ps. Years ago I managed to get v1 DS working on wine 1.4.1 on other server, but v2 didn't even start at there when tried.

br.
Kimmo
K.Jeromaa
reg-#: OH-681
comp-#: KJ
Finland

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: DedicatedServer for Linux

Post by EDB » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 pm

Search the forum. There are already postings from people using Linux.

jmurtari

Post by jmurtari » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:56 pm

I'd also like to run the Dedicate Server natively on Linux. There are a lot of Linux servers running in data centers with good internet connectivity. Much better bandwidth than trying from home.

I have seen some postings of using Wine on Linux for a dedicated server, but it seems an exercise in frustration. I've got servers running updated versions of both Ubuntu and CentOS. If anyone has it working with Wine I'd love to hear from you and what steps were necessary.

I'm a senior software guy with a good amount of Linux experience. If there is interest in porting the code I'd be happy to help.

Best regards!
John
john@murtari.org

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:04 pm

DS uses DirectX Network part to handle transport, not sure it'll be easily transposable. There is also piracy countermeasures, not sure Uros would share this.
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.