The Netherlands/west Germany

Everything related to creation of new sceneries for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:18 pm

H Buikstra wrote:Hi pierre looking great!!!
Now the rest of the netherlands.
Are these GE images?
Or do you use another image source?
Have tried to do something with the elevation data of zeeland, only problem is that the hight data of land mass is disapearing into seelevel.
In that way you don't get a nice "sea/land" border and have to draw all these borders by hand.
Harry
If you use sat images this is not a problem, because they allready have the shore on them.
This problem only occured when using terragen.
Think positive, flaps negative.

H Buikstra

Post by H Buikstra » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi Tim,

Ok.
But still, what images do they use?
By screen shotting GE is not the best way i think.
And not for making a public scenery because of copyrights of the GE images.
The problem of our "Kikkerlandje" is lack off mountains and hills.
so we need hi res images for building.
Or am i wrong?

It's getting time that we open a dutch threat on this.
And keep things rolling and share knowlege about dutch scenery building or else we have the chance that it will bleed to death.
Not every one has the same amount of experience with scenery building.
Binding all that will get us a dutch scenery.

Harry

Jip

Post by Jip » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:11 pm

H Buikstra wrote:It's getting time that we open a dutch threat on this.
Regarding a dutch (public) discussion about the scenery, please look at:
http://www.zweefportaal.nl/main/forum/v ... owstart=20

Yes, you are right about the need of high-res images, but we are way beyond the stage of thinking that this is possible for the whole country with countless of screencaptures. I already use more efficient methods, but currently reviewing the legality of the source, and other image sources.

I have made fair progress in planning the future of this project.
Currently, I'm getting in contact with the right people from the NL2000 team, also with Microsoft. Also TerraMetrics for information about (reduced) pricing for texture tiles covering The Netherlands.

regards,
Jip
Friese Aero Club - The Netherlands
Condor Fan, Orbiter Addon developer

H Buikstra

Post by H Buikstra » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Greet Jip,
Keep us informed about the progress.

rsm

Post by rsm » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:13 pm

hi,

is there some news from the project??

RSM

Jip

Post by Jip » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi RSM,

Yes, the story continues, considering I'm looking for a good aerial image source.
However, I can't afford spend much time on this project until the end of February (training for gliding theory exams).
So expect more news in March.

With kindest regards,
Jip
Friese Aero Club - The Netherlands
Condor Fan, Orbiter Addon developer

Peet

Post by Peet » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:49 pm

After a long period i'm working again on my aerial-image scenery of the netherlands.
Here som pics of the progress.
Lot's to do: the map is not good calibrated ( i'm a few hundred meters offset), the colors are not good so i need to filter, 1 tile done, a lot more to do ;-)

Pj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:08 pm

I am working on a similar project. Small area of the German, Dutch and Belgium border areas. This is Venlo from the East. I landed out here in a Astir once.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Condor CN = E20

Peet

Post by Peet » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:15 pm

Nice colors!.
Did you filtered them or are they original?

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:39 pm

Thank you for your interest in my scenery. This area is one of a few that I am creating using Microsoft Virtual Earth images. As you probaly know there is an issue on the sharing of the completed scenery through the internet to other users. Therefore I am doing it for myself to increase the realism of Condor for me and provide scenery for areas where I have flown and no scenery exists. I feel that this a shame that photo scenery made with these images cannot be shared in the Condor community, I really hope that this will change as I have seen many microsoft Flight Sim sceneries with the same photo images freely shared on the MSFS sites.

I know that there are others within the Condor community that do this type of scenery which is quite straight forward and relatively easy to do. I create Condor tiles with the photo images correctly aligned. The tiles are 8K resolution and the image has 31% smart sharpening applied through Photoshop CS2 which sharpens up the scenery.

I am working on this area as I was stationed with the RAF at Wildenrath in the late 1980's and flew with the Pheonix Gliding Club at RAF Bruggen. I flew my Silver C cross country from Bruggen to Balen-Kielhoven in Belgium. Therefore this scenery covers all the RAF Bases near the border in Germany and extends to Balen-Keilhoven in the West. I can now recreate my flights there.

My method of making photo scenery I have also applied (as others have done) to exisiting Condor scenery. For example I am creating a alternative set of textures for the Provence scenery. The advantage here is that with a change in textures the photo version of the scenery can still be used online with others flying the standard issue, only I will have photo realism.

My preference is for photo realistic scenery but I am very surprised that standard scenery for the Germany and Holland areas has not been done.

If the image sharing issue can sorted out I would be very happy to share the scenery and enable it to be developed with 3d objects.

The images are as per Virtual Earth obtained at level 16 which gives a good resolution with a workable frame rate. No filtering or colouring has been applied. This post is same as a PM I have sent to wickid.
Condor CN = E20

DaggyMAC

Post by DaggyMAC » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Looks like real :shock:
Very nice scenery. Keep going!

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:19 pm

Andy your scenery is outstanding.hope that you manage to get it into Condor one day i used to fly in those area's also.It would be great to relive some of the trips i did over Venlo and Bruggen and beyond . :D

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:34 pm

Photo scenery always looks good from altitude, the real test on resolution is does it hold up low down. Here are two images from Eindhoven one at over 1000ft (330m) and one 938ft (300m). To me it still very flyable.

Also included Balen-Keilhoven for JJJ. Is your house in it? :lol:
Condor CN = E20

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:37 pm

Yep
CN: JJJ
REG: D-1688

ImageImage

rsm

Post by rsm » Sat May 16, 2009 10:25 pm

is there any new news from the senery????

RSM