[TUTORIAL] 3D Objects for Condor with Blender

Everything related to creation of new sceneries for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

Xavier

[TUTORIAL] 3D Objects for Condor with Blender

Post by Xavier » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:30 pm

Obsolete message.
Last edited by Xavier on Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

dendwaler

Re: [TUTORIAL] 3D Objects for Condor with Blender

Post by dendwaler » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:06 pm

I am happy to see that you and other members of this community finally discovered the power of Blender.
In my opninion Blender its one of the 4 best 3D modelling programs that excists.
And once you master it, its by far the most flexible, and fastest way to make your models.
I agree it has a steep learning curve in the beginning, but the further you come, the easyer it gets.
With 3dmax, maya or houdini its the other way around.

But once the shortcuts, which might be difficult in the beginning , become familiair to you.
They are a relieve!
Its like piano playing. You will do it completely automaticly after time.

For those who want to learn Blender, follow good tutorials!
Because good Blender tutorials are hard to find.
I will point here to the best tutorial set you will find on the internet and it is free!
These l tutorials of exceptional quality are made by Neil Hirsig, a professional teacher in 3D modelling.
Everyone, beginner or advanced can learn from what he shows you.

https://www.emg-mediamaker.com/tutorial ... design.php
Above is the course you absolutely need, but you can find more of his hand on his vimeo channel.

https://vimeo.com/nhirsig
https://vimeo.com/channels/blendervideotutorials
https://vimeo.com/channels/blendervideotutorials

and there is more on youtube.

I hope this post is of some help to a few of you.
I think in condor 2 which can handle more vertices , the use of Blender will become more common.
I myself did never build anything for Condor but use Blender as a hobby, nearly on a daily base since 2003 and builded an adventure game in it

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Obsolete message.
Last edited by Xavier on Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 pm

In January, I will be switching to Blender from Wings3d.

The workflow will be Blender -> obj file -> Condor2 object editor -> Condor2 native file
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Capricorne

Post by Capricorne » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:28 am

January 2018 ?? :cry:
Capricorne - S67

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:34 am

Capricorne wrote:January 2018 ?? :cry:
Yes, in a few weeks.

This is for the add-on planes for Condor2. Included planes are all finished (wings3d)
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Tomzy97

Post by Tomzy97 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:34 pm

Hello!

I have a problem regarding UV unwrapping of models in Blender, and i could really use some help. I used seams to mark main wing of plane which i want to unwrap, but when i use manual unwrap I get a whole mess of lines(picture 1 and 2). I also tried automatic unwrapping but my wing gets multiplied (picture 3). Any idea what am I doing wrong? :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dendwaler

Post by dendwaler » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:47 pm

My first impression is that you have a duplicate of the wing mesh at exactly the same place as the intended wing.
It can happen when you accidently hit shift +d when in edit mode.
You can check it by selecting in edit mode 1 vertex then press ctrl+l to select all Linked vertices and pull it aside.
(or hide those using H and alt H to unhide)
This way the duplicatie will become visible. You can restore this handeling by using Ctrl+z.
If there is a duplicate delete it. Always check your mesh for doubled vertices after after splitting or combining meshes when finishing an object.
(press W and choose remove doubles)

Looking at png 2 , i still see "closed loops, its not a proper unwrap, it can't unfold. That also indicaties a duplicated mesh Assuming that the Seams are at the correct edges and fully separate upper and under side of the wing.
In the layout of png 3 you can check which faces are involved by selecting a wing Side (faces mode) in the uv editor while the uv editor is set in the "synchronise with mesh mode".
I hope this helps.

here is an example of how to keep faces selected in the uv editor in sync with the mesh
Last edited by dendwaler on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:24 am

dendwaler wrote:My first impression is that you have a duplicate of the wing mesh at exactly the same place as the intended wing.
It can happen when you accidently hit shift +d when in edit mode.
You can check it by selecting in edit mode 1 vertex then press ctrl+l to select all Linked vertices and pull it aside.
This way the duplicatie will become visible. You can restore this handeling by using Ctrl+z.

Looking at png 2 , i still see "closed loops, its not a proper unwrap. That also indicaties a duplicated mesh Assuming that the Seams are at the correct edges and fully separate upper and under side of the wing.
In the layout of png 3 you can check which faces are involved by selecting a wing Side (faces mode) in the uv editor while the uv editor is set in the "synchronise with mesh mode".
I hope this helps.
If you'd have the time to look at Tomzy's .blend file, it would be much appreciated. Please pm me with your email address and I'll send you a link to the google drive
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

dendwaler

Post by dendwaler » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:53 am

Ok , i will have a look at the file.
I have sended you my email adress.

dendwaler

Post by dendwaler » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:20 am

Ok , received!
It was as i thought a duplicate. :D
Here is it after the separation of the duplication.
I will upload the edited file after i have looked to the seams,

dendwaler

Post by dendwaler » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:20 am

Ok , received!
It was as i thought a duplicate. :D
Here is it after the separation of the duplication.
I will upload the edited file after i have looked to the seams,

edit: It will take some more time , bcause i will check the complete model.
I noticed some more issues, lots of normals are pointing to the wrong direction, if so then the texture will appear on the inside instead of outside.
They have to be flipped. This happens when you use mirroring, all mirrored parts will have the normals also mirrored.

Last edited by dendwaler on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tomzy97

Post by Tomzy97 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:43 am

What kind of magic did you use to achieve this? :D I tried what you told me yesterday, but didn't get any significant results. Still have a lot to learn.
Many thanks!

GregHart1965

Post by GregHart1965 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:52 pm

This is nice to see! I think Blender would be really great for modelling natural objects such as people using their soft modelling tools, being able to very simply merge many basic forms to build up a shape, and also being able to very easily manipulate the shape of the object by simply clicking and dragging as opposed to the endless 'move' commands in wings. One would just have to watch how many vertices you are outputting ( again, I think, you can adjust this after the initial drawing - something you cant do in Wings). Lastly flowing curves can be created as well modulation of the surface shape using individual points (vertices). This is possible in Wings (delete edges but retain vertices) but Wings is not so good at retaining the shape of the 'skin' or surface. If you don't use enough edges the surface collapses inward in Wings.

I am still miles away from mastering Blender (it IS aimed more at animation and film/video rendering) but it might be useful for certain things (curves). It remains to be seen how much of the properties available to you in Blender will be able to be carried across to the new Condor2 object file format.