Vinon - Fes

Everything related to creation of new sceneries for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

dgtfer

Vinon - Fes

Post by dgtfer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:07 pm

We are planning to organize a special event to commemorate the 25th anniversary of one of the most impressive flight in soaring history: on April 17 1992 the Herbaud brothers have flown, in an ASH25 from Vinon in France to Fes in Morocco, setting a fixed goal- strait line World record.
VinonFesPDV.jpg
For this event we've built a scenery named VinonFes, presently under tests.
You can download the beta version there:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yeys0tpjzv29g ... s.rar?dl=0
or there:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B44_Y ... U5xdktGTHM

Its size has been reduced by medium resolution textures located only in the path of the intended flight, and without airports installations. We now need to test it online with a significant number of gliders.
If you want to join us please answer here after downloading the scenery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dgtfer on Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Vinon - Fes

Post by EDB » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:24 am

We now need to test it online with a significant number of gliders.
I can help you out with connecting to the server if needed (depending on whether I am at home and not flying an other task), but I'm not going to fly a 10 hours flight in Condor. :shock:

Sorry :?

PS
I think I would prefer an other plane : https://www.google.nl/maps/dir/Vinon-su ... 181246!3e4
Much faster... :lol:

PS 2
For UTM it looks like the calibration is not correct. The Lat-Lon lines are rotated. As if you used an UTM more to the West. Did you rotate the scenery?
Average tile height = 24842m
Average tile width = 14730m
(instead of 23040m)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dgtfer

Post by dgtfer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:48 am

Thank You EDB.
To reduce size with both Vinon and Fes in the same scenery, I have chosen UTM zone 28. Calibration is correct, which means that you have true geographic coordinates in all points, and you can use xcsoar for example without problems, but there is a -5°(near Fes) to -15°(near Vinon) "Condor declination", similar in effect with magnetic declination. This declination is present in all sceneries, and more important in large ones with a great East - West distance. You can compare it to magnetic declination that can vary in time from +4° to -20° in that zone, it shouldn't be noticeable in flight.
I don't understand your calculations about tile Height and Width, we have 140 x 230 dds tiles, i.e. 35 x 57.5 terragen tiles, and overall size is 789 x 1295 km, which means a dimensional error of about 2% (16 km E-W and 29km N-S). Of course this will be tuned in final version.
For tests I don't think we need to fly 10h! a normal flight for about 1h should be enough to identify problems.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:47 pm

The Origin of the scenery is located in UTM 31N. The western part is going into UTM 30N. And you choose the even more western UTM 28N? :?
I don't know the way Condor handles all calculations, but I guess this can have influence on sun angles, sun up, sun down, headings, distances, etc... basically everything...

The calculations I made are basically the total size of the scenery in meters divided by the number of rows and columns. Seen in UTM 31N, the Condor Origin of the scenery. Then you can see how much the scenery differs from UTM standards. You now tilt the surface to make a square rectangular. The earth surface is rotated to the east.