runway woes

Everything related to creation of new sceneries for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

GregHart1965

runway woes

Post by GregHart1965 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:12 pm

So now I have this problem
Shot356.jpg
The airport area has been thouroughly flattened and the surrounding ground graded in gently. From one end its ok although the (very long 2250m) runway moves around a lot if I pan F2 camera. But the other end looks like this.

The general area does slope away towards the low end but as I say I have flattened a lot.

Runway was placed with AptCndrX with various objects the cut from the O.cx and placed in the G.cx with approriate editing of format.

The airport is on the third DDS tile in from the scenery edge ( flying is still possible) - could this proximity cause this?

Somwhat stumped by this. Have remade the runway, shortened it, reflattened and thoroughly checked height map all to no avail.Height map adjustment in LE is working fine so its not .trn corruption. Aaargh last airport of the scenery! Any advise would help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: runway woes

Post by EDB » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:09 pm

The airport is on the third DDS tile in from the scenery edge ( flying is still possible) - could this proximity cause this?
No. :D

Remember that the height data points are Control-Vertices Spline data points. Not Fit Spline data points. So when you only have flattened the data points directly underneath the runway and not the data points in the vicinity, the runway can still have bumps. Especially if those far away points are way different.

This makes flattening in the CST:LE one of the most frustrating tasks ever by man created... :lol:
Especially if you want to make the airport as realistic as possible... If the airfield is very small and has a very curvy surrounding, I skip flattening more and more... Just use winch start or don't have a starting option and make/leave it a waypoint... Editing the TRN in Photoshop or other TRN editing program might be an option. But I don't like the Photoshop option and haven't found a good other program yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GregHart1965

Post by GregHart1965 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:59 pm

Normally I dont have too many problems with this. I do get that a hill nearby can cause issues and that the gradient is averaged. One has to check that the tow plane doesnt taxi airborne or tunnel into the ground!

I think the issue in this case is that the surrounding ground is too flat! There is a very gentle slope which may be carrying across the entire airport. The runway is only about a meter above the plane when viewed from the side. I may need to add an artificial hill to break the slope. Ah well will fiddle more and let you know. I dont want to lose the surport as its a major one and the only one in the North (wild game farm territory and semi desert.)

GregHart1965

Post by GregHart1965 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Ok I give up! :( Im just going to put a disclaimer in a readme file telling ppl not to take off in a southerly direction at that airport.

Flattened a huge area grading it all in nicely which had very little effect. Condor has decided that the entire area is a slope and thats that - its not interested in negotiation!

GregHart1965

Post by GregHart1965 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Success! Brutality wins the day. I eventually just flattened a monstrous area of 6km sq. which finally overode the slope Condor was creating. Onward forwards