Arc Alpin appearance

Everything related to creation of new sceneries for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

Nyal

Arc Alpin appearance

Post by Nyal » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:45 pm

Finally, I have installed all the scenery files related to Arc Alpin (but maybe not!) I am able to set up a task and fly, but what I see, with the clock on the panel set at noon, is a beautiful blue sky that looks like mid-day and a terrain that looks like extremely late evening. There is no color, the shapes of the tops of the mountains are barely discernible. Flying is possible in these conditions only by staying at the tops of the mountains; down in the valley the color is almost a uniform dark gray. There is not enough detail to avoid crashing.

My question is whether I have missed something in loading the scenery or whether my equipment will not support this huge file. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a Dell PC with Intel Cor i5-4460 CPU@ 3.20GHz, a larger power supply and the fastest game card that will fit into the frame (I don't have its details)

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Arc Alpin appearance

Post by EDB » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:14 am

Do you have dds files in the Textures folder?
..\Landscapes\AA\Textures\*.dds

Nyal

Post by Nyal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:24 pm

I just discovered this answer by EDB.

I am unsure what ".dds files" are. Should such files not be there and should they be removed? Or is it that such files are missing and should appear? I'm just a poor musicologist/librarian and have only a smattering of ignorance about computer files.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:45 pm

Dds files are the terrain textures, and they must be there.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

dgtfer

Post by dgtfer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:24 pm

you should have 14057 files all named like this: txxxyy.dds where xxx and yy are numbers and dds is the type of these files (it means that they are images used to give their textures to the ground). without them condor uses a special texture called empty.dds wich is dark blue in AA. if you don't have them you only see dark shadows in your landscape.
I think your textures are located in a wrong directory.

Nyal

Post by Nyal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:38 pm

I have under Landscapes an AA folder. Inside this folder there is a Textures folder with a long string of .dds files

Beneath this folder are the following folders:

Airports
Images
Textures (Inside this folder there are 8 Arc Alpin Textures folders plus an empty document labelled Empty.dds
World (Inside this folder there are two folders "Objects" and Textures." The Objects folder is empty. The Textures folder contains the following documents:

bureau4.dds
escalier.dds
Lignes1.dds
Pistes1.dds
portacro.dds
roue.dds
starter.dds
THV.dds
tHVA.dds
tHVe.dds
tHVH3.dds
ttour1.dds
ttour2.dds

Obviously I have not unzipped correctly. I'm ot sure how to move these files and folders about.

Spirals

Post by Spirals » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:05 am

Hi Nyal

I'm no expert but your listing for AA looks the same as mine and mine seems to work ok.

In Properties after right clicking on the Textures folder it shows that mine has 14,059 files in 0 folders.

If you have less files than this that might explain the issue (which ones are missing though may be difficult to work out).

Good luck.

Steve

JDS

Post by JDS » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 am

Move all the dds files from the 8 Folders to Landscapes\AA\Textures.

Then see if you have the right number of files.

J.D.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:59 pm

Do what JDS says.

Because this is wrong :
Textures (Inside this folder there are 8 Arc Alpin Textures folders plus an empty document labelled Empty.dds
All the dds files should be in the Texture folder. Not in multiple sub folders. It looks like you unzipped (or moved) the 8 zip files with all the textures to the wrong location.

When you are in the Textures folder do a search for *.dds, select all and move them to ..\Landscapes\AA\Textures\*.dds
Maybe ask someone to help you if this is too difficult for you.

dgtfer

Post by dgtfer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:42 pm

I just remember you the installation instructions for a scenery:

Extract the compressed files directly to Condor \ Landscapes directory.
After a complete unpacking of downloaded files, you can check the contents in the various directories:

For AA, directory tree must be:

Condor
...Landscapes
.....AA
.......Airports
.......Images
.......Textures
.......World
..........Textures

1. In the root directory Condor \ Landscapes \ AA you must have at least the following files:
• AA.apt : Airport File size 21 KB
• AA.for : forests map size 64000 KB
• AA.obj : objects list size 0 kb
• AA.tdm : thermal map size 64001 KB
• AA.trn : elevations map size 128001 KB
• AA.ini : config. parameters size 1 KB

These files are mandatory and any alteration would prevent the use of the scenery or spoil its network compatibility.

You also need to the files:
• AA.bmp : PDA map size 192 001 KB
• AA.cup : TP list size 217 KB

These files must exist but may be modified or replaced.

2. In AA \ Textures directory , there are a total 14058 dds tiles, including the empty.dds tile (oceans are untextured areas).

3. AA \ Airports directory contains 894 files, defining the airports installations, runways and surfaces types; these files are not mandatory and can be modified or replaced.

4. AA \ World \ Textures contains 13 files, for texturing airports files embedded objects (your list is correct), and there is nothing else in World subdirectory.

5. Finally you will find 8 jpg files in AA \ Images, these images are displayed randomly on scenery loading.

mauheb

Post by mauheb » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:25 pm

Is it possible to load an airport into the scenery, like La Motte Du Caire, which is not in the regular version of AA, and still use the scenery to compete online against people who do not have that airport?
Maurits Hebels - (033)

EDB

Post by EDB » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:33 pm

@mauheb

Then you have to edit AA.apt...
And a changed AA.apt is not compatible in multi-player. Only if the server also has this edited AA.apt version and all clients connecting.

You can however use a different AA.apt off-line and change back to the original when you want to do multi-player. The virtual store can come in handy here... Just place the edited file in the virtual store and if you want to go multi-player just delete/remove it from the virtual store.