Northern Norway scenery in development

Everything related to creation of new sceneries for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

arneh

Northern Norway scenery in development

Post by arneh » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:28 am

I've decided to make my first scenery for Condor! The area I've chosen is Northern Norway (plus parts of Northern Sweden), not a completely arbitrary choice, since I'm Norwegian, and know the area fairly well :)

Here's a map of my scenery:

And for those who don't know Norwegian geography very well, here's where it is located in Europe:

It's a fairly big scenery, 370x390 km, with an area about twice that of Provence. About 30% of it is sea though, but there is still a lot of interesting terrain left :) The Norwegian side of the map is quite mountainous, with lots of fjords (though not as big as the ones in western Norway). Across the Swedish border it starts off with the highest mountains of the scenery, where nearly all of Sweden's mountains with peaks above 2000 meters are located. Then follows the huge, relatively flat highlands of Swedish Lappland.

It's still early days, and lots still to do, but I'll show you some screenshots of the parts I've done so far:

This is the only airfield in the Norwegian part of the scenery where there is a glider club located (there is another one in the Swedish part):

The part of the scenery where I've started developing is actually one of the flattest in the Norwegian part, but there are still some mountains:

And this being Norway, there are fjords:

I'll post more updates later, as work progresses on the scenery :)

sisu1a

Re: Northern Norway scenery in development

Post by sisu1a » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:16 am

Holy smokes that looks awesome!

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:43 am

congratulation, it looks really very good!

kristoffer

Post by kristoffer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:06 am

Awsome work Arne!
I'm looking forward to enjoy the beautiful mountains of North Norway. :D I do want to go to Salangen in real, but I think I have to settle with Condor for now.

Cheers!
Kristoffer

arneh

Post by arneh » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:25 am

Cadfael wrote:congratulation, it looks really very good!
Thanks, that means a lot coming from you :) The look and style of the textures is clearly inspired by your sceneries, and I've using tricks from your texture guide and I'm going to be using your 3D objects :) And please let me know if you see something I can improve, or some more tips and tricks! I still have much to learn about scenery development. And let me know if you have any more 3D objects to share.
I do want to go to Salangen in real, but I think I have to settle with Condor for now.
I hope to get to try some flying there this summer :) All the screenshots are from the vicinity of Salangen.

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:24 am

Hi Arneh

Congratulations,

It looks very good.

Don't worry about opinions of other people!

Every sceneries' makers had is own style. And yours is good!

Good Flight and happy landing
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

CBER

Post by CBER » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:26 am

Can someone please make a scenery of ENNO (Notodden) and the mountains nearby?

Looks great btw :)

arneh

Post by arneh » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:32 am

CBER wrote:Can someone please make a scenery of ENNO (Notodden) and the mountains nearby?
I would certainly like to see that area myself. But someone else is already working on a scenery of South Norway (though not sure if it includes Notodden), which is why I decided to make Northern Norway instead of South.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:22 pm

Super work Arne-Martin. There's a lot less snow than I expected :lol:
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

arneh

Post by arneh » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:57 pm

OXO wrote:There's a lot less snow than I expected :lol:
I'm modelling how it looks in summer :) And the mountains in the part I've modelled so far aren't that high (up to around 1300-1400 meters above sea level. But then they start at sea level too, so that's how high they are above base level too :) ). But there will be snow once I get to the higher mountains.

For comparison here are a couple of photos from the real place. This is the mountain which has just a patch of snow in the last two of my screenshots:

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:40 pm

arneh wrote: And let me know if you have any more 3D objects to share.
You can use all objects from my SloveniaHD scenery. There is complete set of my (and other authors with permission) objects. All these objects is possible to use for not commercial lanscapes.

kristoffer

Post by kristoffer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:50 pm

CBER wrote:Can someone please make a scenery of ENNO (Notodden) and the mountains nearby?

http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=11062

I actually think Notodden is just south of bluescans sceneryborder, so if anyone wants to make a landscape of the southest parts of Norway it's "available". Maybe I can give it ago myself. :) Though, I would prefeer flying in the mountains of West or North Norway. :D

CBER

Post by CBER » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:27 am

kristoffer wrote:

http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=11062

I actually think Notodden is just south of bluescans sceneryborder, so if anyone wants to make a landscape of the southest parts of Norway it's "available". Maybe I can give it ago myself. :) Though, I would prefeer flying in the mountains of West or North Norway. :D
Don't look like ENNO will be included in Bluescans scenery. Would be great if anyone gave it a try as i fly out of ENNO IRL and it would be great to have as a training environment.

arneh

Post by arneh » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:40 am

Cadfael wrote:You can use all objects from my SloveniaHD scenery. There is complete set of my (and other authors with permission) objects.
Thank you!
It does liven up the scenery when there are various ground objects to be discovered along the flight, so good to get a good library of objects to use :)

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:35 pm

arneh, please receive my encouragements too!

Very promising!