Northern Norway scenery in development

Everything related to creation of new sceneries for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

arneh

Re: Northern Norway scenery in development

Post by arneh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:43 pm

A little update on progress. I've made the islands of Rolla and Andørja. Over Rolla here, with Andørja in the back: Image

Andørja (not to be confused with nearby islands Andøya, or Arnøya - you would think they could come up with slightly more different names!) is Northern Europe's most mountainous island. Despite being only about 12 km in diameter, it has managed to cram in 14 peaks above 1000 meters, and a 10 km fjord which nearly cuts the island in half:

Here's a picture from the real Andørja:

Next, further inland, is the first of the bigger airports of the scenery, Bardufoss:

Bardufoss is a military airfield which houses two helicopter squadrons and the air force pilot school (watch out for newbies in the pattern! :) ). But like most military airfields in Norway it also serves as a civilian airport, and even used to house a glider club (I believe the club is defunct now that there's a dedicated glider airfield not far away).

On final approach, you can see the distinctive yellow marking used at Norwegian airfields to make it more visible when there is snow:

And this is what it looks like in real life:

In the valley east of the airport (Bardufoss in background right):

In a valley in Bardu, south of the Bardufoss:

Further east towards the Swedish border, getting to some more mountainous terrain:

WilkzPolski

Post by WilkzPolski » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:41 pm

Fantastic :D Keep working coz it looks realy good :o
SZD 50-3 "Puchacz" RULES!!

kristoffer

Post by kristoffer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Fantastic!! :D
Love the Norwegian yellow runwaymarkings and your textures in general! :)

arneh

Post by arneh » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Another update. More area has been finished, first up we have the island of Senja. It's Norway's second biggest island, and it's where I grew up :) It also features some spectacular terrain with deep fjords and steep ridges rising out of the sea:

These cliffs are known as Okshornan (the ox horns):

And this is how it looks in real life:

Then, for contrast, on the other side of the map, the huge, remote highlands of Swedish lapland. The mountains in the distance is where Sweden ends and Norway begins:

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:31 pm

I hope you continue making sceneries after this one is done! This looks efin awesome.

-paul

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi arneh,

Your scenery is a killer :D

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:48 am

For beta-testing purpose, if it is convenient to you we can open a private forum on CondorSim.fr and set your rights to moderator so that you can grant access to whoever you want.

hitzi and Agentschlegel have already such a forum on CondorSim.fr Please note that the forum interface can be set to english.

And we can also provide you a ftp system to share files with your beta-testers.

Just PM me whenever you want and we'll do it.

arneh

Post by arneh » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:39 am

sisu1a wrote:I hope you continue making sceneries after this one is done! This looks efin awesome.

We'll see when I'm done with this one. I still have a lot of work to do on this one, I might be totally fed up with scenery creation by the time I'm done with it :)

Simicro wrote:For beta-testing purpose, if it is convenient to you we can open a private forum on CondorSim.fr and set your rights to moderator so that you can grant access to whoever you want.
Thanks for the offer! I don't have any beta testers yet, and it's still too unfinished for beta-testing to be really useful (out of a total of 272 tiles, only 31 have been completed so far), so I currently don't have a need for a forum.
But I might have use for it later when it's time to start proper testing.

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:33 pm

I understand. Good luck with your development! And feel free to contact me whenever you want.

MaintenanceMan

Post by MaintenanceMan » Sun May 01, 2011 12:44 pm

Dear arneh, this looks absolutely beautiful. at first glance I thought you had used quality photo's :)
Your textures and art work are first rate.
I look forward to flying it when it's done.

Mark.
Fiordlands NZ (all artwork) due around October 2010

arneh

Post by arneh » Tue May 10, 2011 11:22 pm

Another update on progress.

First we have Andøya and its airport. It's home to a squadron of P-3 Maritime Patrol planes, but like most other military air bases also servers as a civilian airport. The island Andøya itself is a bit different to most others in that that most of it is very flat, and covered with bogs. But it also features some steep cliffs along the west coast. The island also lies very exposed to the North Sea, and combined with the geography this makes this one of the most windy places in Norway, in fact so windy that hardly any trees will grow here.

Next up is the biggest city of the scenery, Tromsø:

And here is its airport:

About 40 km east of Tromsø is one of the most prominent mountain ranges of the scenery, Lyngsalpan (the Lyngen Alps):

One of several glaciers there:

Here's how the real Lyngsalpan looks:

At the southern end of Lyngsalpan lies this peak, named Otertinden, but unofficially dubbed the Matterhorn of the North:

The real Otertind:

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Wed May 11, 2011 8:30 am

one word: amazing! I am really looking forward to your landscape. How you are doing a stone mountains? Terragen?

arneh

Re:

Post by arneh » Wed May 11, 2011 10:21 am

Cadfael wrote:How you are doing a stone mountains? Terragen?
No, I'm not using terragen, I'm creating all the textures by hand, much like described in your guide. I'm using four textures for mountains which I mix together depending on elevation, steepness and how it looks in maps and aerial photos: Rock with vegitation, bare rock, rock with patches of snow, and pure snow. It might be possible to get terragen to do something similar by using the same textures, but I haven't tried.

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Wed May 11, 2011 10:36 am

I am afraid pure terragen give not so good result. I am also using textures + black and white masks from terragen (for altitude and steepnes) as a texture mask.

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Wed May 11, 2011 11:47 pm

I don't find words anymore :shock: