New Scenery - Fiordlands New Zealand (HD)

Everything related to creation of new sceneries for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

MaintenanceMan

Re: New Scenery - Fiordlands New Zealand (HD)

Post by MaintenanceMan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:19 pm

I'm going nuts now!!

I downloaded from here > WELT2000/2010 - program and database maintained by Michael Meier http://www.segelflug.de/vereine/welt2000/
the world tp data base and exported to seeyou format to create a .cup file for my scenery.

How accurate are these data bases?
I tried to match Milford Sound, Glenorchy and Queenstown airports with Google Earth and it seems the tp data base is way off the mark!!! :evil:

Here are the three tp's from the data base, how do I convert the lat/long co-ords to match the scenery editors format?

name,code,country,lat,lon,elev,style,rwdir,rwlen,freq,desc WELT2000 19.04.2010
"Glenorchy","GLENO",NZ,4452.300S,16823.850E,384m,2,140,620m,119.200,"Airport"
"Milford Sound","MILFO",NZ,4440.400S,16755.400E,3m,5,110,770m,119.200,"Airport"
"Queenstown1","QUETW",NZ,4501.267S,16844.350E,357m,5,050,1900m,118.100,"Airport"

I have to recalibrate my scenery now, I would like to get it very accurate, so any help would be great.
Fiordlands NZ (all artwork) due around October 2010

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Hi MaintenanceMan,

The accuracy of all the data comming from different sites for TP, roads, rivers, Town maps are very bad and i d'ont use them.

Style must be set to 1 and all the further data can be disgarded, but the commas (separator of the fields) must be kept.
For Style between 0 to 9 some works others not, but 1 is good, and there is no differences in Lanscape Editor, or the TP window propoerties of Condor.

See a NZ cup.file for example:
"027-Falls Dam",027-Fall,,4451.400S,16955.100E,572.0m,1,,,,

.cup files are text files with comma as fields separator and Enter as records separator.

Put each line in your MyScenry.cup file. Save the file.

To match with TP propeties and info on LE, the Name parameters between " " must not exceed 15, 16 characters.
There is no need of " " for Code.
The remaining seems correct.

Open Landcape editor. Load or reload your Scenery and notch "Draw turnpoints" and see if your TP are misplaced or not.

Cadfael Make an Excel programm to convert decimal degrees of Google or Landscapes Editor to .cup files format.

To get a correct calibration use the Lurik tools. there is only a little trimming of 46 m sometime (half of 92 m , space beetween SRTM data)!

Good flight
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:13 pm

Conversion for .cup Files

From decimal degree

Latitude: -62.5862 ° (decimal)

The formula is

62 x100 + 0.5862 x 60 + S

6200 + 35.172 + S

That is 6235.172S

But xxmm.mmmS is the text format for latitude with postfix S (maj) for negative and N for positive numbers (South and North)

So if you have something less than 10° you must add one 0 in prefix

To get 09mm.mmm for 9.xxx dec°

And for Longitude the text format is always xxxmm.mmmW (West for negative number and E, East, for positive numbers).

Add 1 or 2 “0” as prefix because you must match coordinate from – 180 to + 180°.
2 "0" with coordinates less than 10 and 1 "0" for coordinates between 10 to less than100°

009mm.mmmW for -9.xxx dec°

or

085mm.mmmE for 85.xxx dec°

Easy, isn’t!

For degrees with decimal minutes

That is for

Latitude: 59° 35.896 minutes

The result is obvious (multiply the degrees by 100 and add)

5935.896N

Same mess with zeroing prefix

For complete coordinates in degrees minutes and seconds

That is for

Lat: 35° 65m 25s

Convert seconds in decimal minutes

That is 25/60 = 0.4166

And the result is now obvious

3565.4166N

Same mess with zeroing prefix

That's all folks
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

MaintenanceMan

Post by MaintenanceMan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:11 am

Thanks for your help guys.

- Firstly calibrating with Luriks tool didn't work, even with adjustments and removing all but three or four points.
Maybe because my scene isn't / 64.. ?

- I calibrated the scenery with Google Earth using decimal co-ords on prominent landmarks, one top right area and one bottom left of the scenery.
It's now accurate to within a few meters.

- The TP data that was exported in "See You" format directly from Welt2000 works perfeclty as is without any editing needed.
As for converting the Welt2000 TP co-ords into decimal format compatible with GE and the editor.
I found this great conversion tool online to do the job.. it's a ripper! click here > http://www.earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx

To test calibration I flew a few tasks from "Wanaka, Queenstown, Milford Sound and Gore" as these are located North, South, East and Center of the scenery.
After each flight I exported an IGC and ran them in Google Earth to get a visual on placement... IGC replay tool can be got here > http://ywtw.de/igcsimen.html ..... great tool!
The tests showed accuracy to be very good indeed.

So there you go, I am happy now and I hope I helped out some new scenery devs with this process.

Mark.

Lurik

Post by Lurik » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:49 pm

MaintenanceMan wrote:...
- Firstly calibrating with Luriks tool didn't work, even with adjustments and removing all but three or four points.
Maybe because my scene isn't / 64.. ?
Your scenery is always crop to multiply of 64. Whatever the value of row / column you choose, the raw to trn converter crop the map to have entire number of dds tiles.
You can see the value of row / column copped at the bottom of the windows converter.

My tool and other (i suppose) work with multiply of 64. I made a test of a tool to re-calibrate the coordinate at the same way of the cropping of the converter, but it's only a test on my computer, i still have no time to release it.

So with my actual tool and a no 64 multiply scenery, you can NOT have correct calibration.
Creation Scenery Tutorial : http://www.lurik.fr

flying.islander
Location: Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Galactic Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Post by flying.islander » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:18 pm

Unless Google Earth has gotten its act together, I wouldn't use coordinates from Google Earth, as they've been proven to be notoriously wrong... including being off by around 100 meters from the observatory located on the Prime Meridian marker in Greenwich, England! Someone in this forum posted a link to an article about that a few years ago.
CN: TXS
TX-ScubaSteve

MaintenanceMan

Post by MaintenanceMan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:25 am

flying.islander wrote:Unless Google Earth has gotten its act together, I wouldn't use coordinates from Google Earth, as they've been proven to be notoriously wrong... including being off by around 100 meters from the observatory located on the Prime Meridian marker in Greenwich, England! Someone in this forum posted a link to an article about that a few years ago.
I was concerned about that too, so I tested various co-ordinates in GE from wiki entries that had co-ordinates listed...
It looked close enough for me mate! :mrgreen:

Besides, what's a 100 meters when your using data that is only 90 meters or worse resolution? :?: