Oahu HD

Everything related to creation of new sceneries for Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

Berblinger

Re: Oahu HD

Post by Berblinger » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:37 pm

BOD1 wrote:First flight over it, :shock: Impressive! That's a very *high* definition!!
My first thought: +1
oahu.jpg
My second thought: Significantly less fps, about 30-40 compared to e.g. Slovenia or Slovakia
BOD1 wrote:I got a bad CRC on Oahu HD BETA\Textures\t1310.dds
Here it is:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Strider69

Post by Strider69 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:02 pm

Hmmm
Same error.
Had to use the extract here option to get all the files out as the installer stopped at that file. even though it looks like they were extracted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Basil Fawlty (RCB)

flying.islander
Location: Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Galactic Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Post by flying.islander » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:58 pm

Guess the .dds file is too large to attach here, so I'm uploading the scenery again--this time as a standard zip file.
CN: TXS
TX-ScubaSteve

flying.islander
Location: Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Galactic Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Post by flying.islander » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:24 pm

Yeah, I think you're right Thierry... would be better to add some buildings at least around airports. Making hi-rises for Honolulu might be good too, but after trying to make objects with 3d studio, I still can't manage to get them to work right... might just borrow some buildings from others. If I use trees, I obviously need to change their color and textures.

Berblinger, I just noticed in your screen shot that you can see a tile seam. Something I had fixed, but apparently never got updated in the final .dds texture. Unfortunately too, it seems the .dds files show a higher contrast between photo and terragen sea, than it looks like in uncompressed bmp format... and in your screen shot it doesn't look very well blended at all, but like a sharp line between reef and open ocean. I had noticed this to a certain degree on my computer when flying, but the blending was still "softer"... Not sure if this is a video setting issue or not, but obviously I need to find a way to soften the transitions better to compensate for dds compression.
TX-ScubaSteve

Strider69

Post by Strider69 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:26 am

Don't worry about it, There will be a few things to do yet, Always are with a new landscape. Don't do any updated zip for a few days as people might notice other bit's to do. At least you can get most of them done in one swoop. :D :D
Basil Fawlty (RCB)

flying.islander

Post by flying.islander » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 am

I had initially played with color correction and saturation levels when I first started this project, but in the end scrapped that. However, I decided to play with that again and experimented some more on the coast lines, and took some screenshots. I noticed that a lot of aerial photographs seem a little 'washed out' due to shooting through so much atmosphere from high altitude, so I increased the saturation levels, and adjusted the color channels. Not sure if I've over compensated...
TX-ScubaSteve

Strider69

Post by Strider69 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:35 pm

Quality :D :D
Basil Fawlty (RCB)

staylo

Post by staylo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:25 pm

Amazing looking scenery! The icing on the cake would be a custom texture for the tree objects - the current one gives those screenshots a bit of a Who Framed Roger Rabbit quality :lol:

flying.islander

Post by flying.islander » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:19 pm

staylo wrote:Amazing looking scenery! The icing on the cake would be a custom texture for the tree objects - the current one gives those screenshots a bit of a Who Framed Roger Rabbit quality :lol:
Thx.

Yes, definitely agree about the trees. Trees will be easy to fix... next on my list of things after tweaking the photos... then again I could raise saturation to surreal levels to match the trees... :lol:
TX-ScubaSteve

Berblinger

Post by Berblinger » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:55 am

Berblinger wrote:My second thought: Significantly less fps, about 30-40 compared to e.g. Slovenia or Slovakia
My third thought: who cares? It's an awesome scenery.
BTW, 60-80 fps: 1920x1200. What can be set, set to maximum (NVidia GTX 285)

Philoo

Post by Philoo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:53 pm

I have the same problem as with the Turkey scenery: it crashes when loading texture.. access violation in consor.exe ... :-(

I guess that new sceneries were made with tools made in China :-)

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:00 pm

I think it's more a problem with the memory you have on your graphic card! Textures are *big* and are loaded on graphic cards, so: little memory, big crash :)
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

David R

Post by David R » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:49 am

Steve, I finaly had some time to check out your Oahu HD. Visualy it is unbelivably good, maybe the best photo real scenery out there. Functionaly it seems to behave just like my real world experince flying out of Dillingham.

The draw back with this scenery is its need for alot of computer power. I'm only seeing 25 fps and even less in high thermal activity. Now I don't have the best computer but I do have a good graphics card which probably makes me average for condor users. Can't wait for computer power to catch up with this scenery.

Great job keeping the reefs in the scenery.
Image,Image,Image

flying.islander

Post by flying.islander » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:45 am

Thanks.

Ever since I released the Beta, I've been working on trying to apply some color correction to the scenery. For one thing it's too red, which I guess one would expect since blue light is scattered by the atmosphere and red light just ploughs on through to the ground. However, I've noticed that each of the 750+ pictures weren't necessarily taken with the same camera settings, and it's been very difficult to get a good color balance across a single tile. I'm going to do a bit more experimenting, but getting burnt out quickly trying to get it all to look a little more natural and colorful.

Then I plan to add trees and buildings around each airport, and call it good enough for now. This project has taken 100 times longer to do than I ever imagined it would...
TX-ScubaSteve

MaintenanceMan

Post by MaintenanceMan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:30 am

Nice work so far champ.
I can just fly the scenery on my laptop, but for multi play it's no good (too much IO on swap file).

Here's a thought, once you get your colour corrections done and the rest completed, how about resampling the tiles in irfanview or PhotoFiltre(free tool) and batch edit the tiles down to 2048X2048 and then export to dds for an alternative lower res texture set for those that have older PC's, the scenery will still be compatable online as your are only using different textures, all else stays as is.. then as people catch up with their PC power they can swap over to the high res texture set.. :wink:
Fiordlands NZ (all artwork) due around October 2010