Loading time - can it be better?

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

slawosz

Loading time - can it be better?

Post by slawosz » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:56 am

Hi,
on one of my computers (i7 7xxx, 32 gb ram, standard ssd) condor 2 loads quite slow. On my laptop (i7 8xxx, 32 ram and nvme ssd) loads much faster - I wonder if this is due to nvme? Is there a way to speed up flight loading - some community tricks and tips?

OXO
Condor Team

Re: Loading time - can it be better?

Post by OXO » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:04 pm

Quantify how slow?
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:23 pm

Always the same landscape ?
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:05 pm

There's much more than just the basic specs which dictate how fast your computer runs.

Could be many things that have an effect including:

Other software running in the background
Drivers (chipset & any storage ones)
Ram speed (latency)
Settings in your BIOS
Which socket on your mother board your SSD is plugged into (Some dictate to use a certain one for fastest data transfer)
CPU throttling (possibly due to power settings?)

I'm sure there are other things to add to that list but it's an example showing it's not just a case of what CPU and how much RAM you have. My old system used a normal SSD and load times weren't much slower than on my current system which has an NVME drive.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Martingo

Post by Martingo » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:18 pm

The first and best way to improve loading speed would be upgrading your HDD hard disk to a SSD, since reading data speed (and landscapes have a lot) of the data is the bottleneck here. You can also use the task manager under performance to see what is used 100%, so that is the bottleneck. (The graphic card in the game itself should and is running on 100%, because it normally outputs the maximum frames per second it can) After you have a faster storage, it should be the CPU or the RAM speed. You can also use the programm afterburner to show the pc stats in realtime, it you want to investigate this further. Just look at tutorials and you know what i mean.

Greetings,
Martin

slawosz

Post by slawosz » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:41 pm

OXO wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:04 pm
Quantify how slow?
The other computer is unoperational at the moment. On laptop is 35 seconds. The other is significantly more (2-3 times). The thing is I am using Condor to short flights, to refresh memory before gliding course, and when I have high probability of winch failure, around 33% of times the failure is before starting moving. And other flights were very short as well - so in best case - circuit without break I was maybe flying in total for 6 minutes.
But I found the trick with multiplayer - so now I can restart the flight and the problem with loading time is not important. Although it would be great to restart flight also in single player mode.
Paul_UK wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:05 pm
There's much more than just the basic specs which dictate how fast your computer runs.
Thats true, but in this case I was looking into something obvious that might be known in the community. Actually, the faster computer has often quite memory consuming programs running - the other I just use for occasional gaming.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:46 am

Which part of the loading is it slower on? If its when loading the weather ensure you don't have 'flats activity' set to low or none. I recall that setting causing very slow load times.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:17 am

Besides that, what landscape are you using ?
The latest versions of AA2 may cause problems
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

slawosz

Post by slawosz » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:16 pm

I think it was HDD issue - slow had still sata drive, new NVME.